Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
Travelling on the trike?

Or shipping the trike to a destination to ride it?

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
I'm not a triker myself - but it seems that many of the major manufacturers have their proponents. Terratrike, Challenge, ICE, Hase, Rans, some of the newer Australian ones, even newbie Trident all seem to do a pretty good job. One question is whether you want delta or tadpole, or whether you care. Another is what kind of riding you want to do.

I guess you would need to try several and see what felt best to you.

Here is a great place to review peoples' bike and trike tours: crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals

·
Registered
94 Posts
If touring is your interest do yourself a favor and test ride a Catrike Expedition before you commit to anything else. You have a large gear inch range, a comfy ride and superb components. If you want a cushy ride and and even better trike look at the German made FS Scorpion with full suspension.

Both of these are high end, loaded with the best components, and will absolutely deliver on a tour.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an ICE Sprint and it fits all my needs. But like cars and trucks and anything else try out all you can to see which fits your style and comfort the most.

·
Recumbent Evangelist
90 Posts
there are so many styles of trike now, that finding *the best* at something is very subjective. for example, I rode an Anthrotech trike for many years, doing long distance touring for weeks at a time (+1000 km / +600 miles). I found the seat position, track, and wide cargo rack great for touring or daily commuting. Other see the Anthrotech differently, or prefer another style (I'm keen on Steintrikes lately, for example).

Probably the best way is to try as many different trikes as you can get your hands on, try to rent them for a weekend or at least a long day in the saddle (50 miles or more), *then* start narrowing down that list to the top 2-3 that you really feel comfortable with.

Go back and give those another ride (even a short "around the block" test) and ask lots of questions (even to yourself based on your own observations), such as: how easy is it to get in and out of, how stable under load does it feel, is the local bike repair/dealer shop able to service the trike if you are not mechanically inclined, can you make basic repairs easily (flat tire, broke chain, etc.), and so on.

Don't buy until you are reasonably satisfied!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts