Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read the thread discussing stretching followed by the five worst stretches. How do you get warmed up for a ride? Naturally I want best performance and avoid injury.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
omnivox42 said:
I just read the thread discussing stretching followed by the five worst stretches. How do you get warmed up for a ride? Naturally I want next performance and avoid injury.
The best way to get loose for a ride is to ride while gradually increasing your pace. Slow to warm is the best way to go. You can always take a hot shower before riding, that's a great way to get loose per ride. Using Tiger Balm helps too.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'd check the cleat and seat position first and go from there. If your knee is stiff off the bike, then I'd highly recommend an eval with a trusted trainer in your area.

People with NASM, NSCA and CHEK certifications are usually pretty good.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking the bike to the LBS to make sure I am sitting on the saddle correctly and to make sure my legs are aligned to the pedals. I also found some interesting pedals, ergon Pc 2.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
omnivox42 said:
Thanks for the advice. I plan on taking the bike to the LBS to make sure I am sitting on the saddle correctly and to make sure my legs are aligned to the pedals. I also found some interesting pedals, ergon Pc 2.
Very nice! Keep us update once they look under the hood!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went by yesterday to have the setup on my bike checked. They said I had it pretty close. Also I may have one longer leg, a trip to a doctor will confirm.

All in all they said I'm probably pushing too hard too soon on the more resistant gears. Over the next few weeks ill run higher cadence in lower gears and work up to the harder stuff.

They fitted me for a roadie which I gave a test ride. Hooked. It will be mine oh yes it will be mine.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Very nice! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I posted this in the stretching thread so I apologize if it's considered a cross-thread. I used to stretch before and after each ride but no longer do that. I have found no difference between stretching before and after and doing the first mile or so at a slower speed with lower gears and doing a little spinning.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
"Active Isolated Stretching: The Mattes Method" is the best book on the subject published IMO. It's making it's way around the pro peloton (Himcapie, Leipheimer, Fred Rodriguez) as well.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The best thing to do post ride is:
Glute bridges, ideally single leg
Prone cobra hold
Lunges

These reset the glutes, hit the spinal erectors and stretch hip flexors quads. You will recover faster and ride a lot better your next time out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts