Best ways to lock up a bike?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by fleeter, Feb 26, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Hey guys, I did a quick search, but didn't find anything about the various methods people use to lock up their bikes...

I just bought 3' of the biggest, highest test trucker chain I could find at HD, wrapped it with an old innertube (so as to not scratch my bike), and then finished it off with a heavy duty masterlock with a concealed shank. I'm planning on using this to chain my rear wheel and frame to a bike rack at work, and then thread a smaller cable-type lock through the big chain, my saddle rails, front tire, etc.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? What have you found to be the most effective when you HAVE to leave your bike outside?

2. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Wow, maybe I'm just lucky or atleast think I'm lucky that I don't have to go to that extreme to ride to work. Maybe it'd be cheaper and easier to get a new job! LOL I work in a job where I drive tractor trailers and have used some heavy chain like you're talking about and it aint light. Do you drag that chain with you or leave it at work? I myself just use the standard 5 digit lock on a plastic coated cable, not the thin cable that you'd use for a clothesline, but not so thick that I'm hauling an extra 50lbs either.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

3. fleeter

Well, to start off with, I'm paranoid. :D

but the fact is, the bike rack is outside, accessible to the public, and I've had an expensive (relative term... expensive to me) bike stolen in the past.

Right now, I'm packing the chain with me when I ride... I call it my trainer ;)

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I chain my up to the other bikes at work. All the employees chain there bikes together because most of us get off at the same time. If you've never seen eight bikes lashed together it's an unwieldy mess. It causes issues but rarely. If I am going to a place where I think my bike mite get jacked I drive.

5. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Glad your looking at the bright side of hauling it around with you! :) Please don't misunderstand me in my previous post, wasn't trying to be rude. Guess just more thankful that I work in a safe area haven't had a bike stolen (yet anyway and hopefully never) So even though I can't understand through a personal experience like yours, I can see your point of wanting to secure it. This is the closest picture I can find of the type of lock I have. I bought mine while I was in S. Korea for a year so it's a brand (Lespo) hard to if not impossible to buy in the U.S. Yeah, the brand name threw me off the first time I saw it, they have bikes and accesories with that brand on it. Don't look at the name too quickly, you'll missread it! LOL

Attached Files:

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Sounds pretty secure to me. Any lock system can be defeated, but a theif is gonna have to really work hard to steal your bike. The only suggestion I can give you to make it a hair more secure is to remove your front wheel and lock it up with the big chain as well. Also, make sure whatever you are locking up to is at least as strong as your chain.

7. fleeter

yeah... that's funny because I always seem to see bikes locked up to things like handicapped parking signs. It makes me want to lift the bike up, slip the chain over the top of the sign, and then lean it back up against the sign just so they get the hint...:D

8. snowbird

snowbird New Member

A motorcycle cable lock will deter most thieves. Some will have tar inside the sheath to gum up a cut off tool. They're mostly too heavy to carry on a bike, but since you're locking it up at the same place every day you could leave the device locked to the bike rack.

9. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I have read one of the best ways to foil a theft is by have two different types of locks. One cable and one of the U locks works great. Thieves hardly ever carry the tools to defeat both types of locks.

But again, I don't think they're going to get through your logging chain. And besides, it'll make an awesome looking belt when you're riding down the road.

Good vid from QuickreleaseTV:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327

10. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Not to mention an effective weapon for defending yourself againt beligerent motorists.
    Personally I'd leave it at work though.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I use the new style D lock with the updated locking mechanism.

I'm not a bike thief so therefore don't have that mindset but to me having a giant chain or system would almost be like a challenge to a thief.

12. fleeter

I guess I never thought of that before... My main goal is just to make it as frustrating as possible:D

13. fleeter

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm not a bike thief either but simplicity would be what I was looking for. A simple chain and lock combo for instance.

15. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I use my utility bike for errands and just about everything most people use their car for. I use a D lock on that, not the most expensive kind so I worry a little, maybe I should upgrade. There is a new kind of lock now, instead of a cable or a chain it uses bar stock in a folding "carpenter's ruler" kind of arrangement... anyone seen those? I'll try to find a pic on the net. I think Trelock makes one and ABUS as well.
    My road bikes never get locked up, they live in the basement and they only come out for rides and then back to the basement.

16. fleeter

17. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Looks like one way to get your ride repainted as well. Get different locks with different color dyes and make yourself a tie-dyed bike! LOL

18. fleeter

That's funny, I didn't even think about the effect it would have on your ride...

19. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Don't forget about the importance of running the cable lock through a few spokes. I try to always have a light cable lock, but long enough to cover the frame and both wheels.
    It only takes someone 10 seconds to get your wheels if they aren't secure.

20. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.