Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some of the thread on the "cheap" cyclocomputer, but I may be in the market for something a step higher than "cheap" (inexpensive, lol)

The Topeak Panoram I purchased in Y2K is a decent one, it uses a pickup on the wheel/wireless.

Been away for so long & I don't know what the latest technology is. Do the make ones that work off of sat. like a GPS, where I wouldn't have to attach something to the wheel?

Give me some recommendations for something maybe up to $200. Like to spend less, but I will budget that amount if needed for a bells & whistles computer if it looks right for me.

I thought I read about one someplace that has a rear view camera? That might me a neat thing to have for road riding.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - I should have mentioned that I prefer a large display. I also like the heart rate/temperature feature that I see on many of the computers.

So far I am considering;

Bontrager Node 2.1
Panoram V16 Dual Wireless
Sigma BC 2209 Targa

Guess GPS is out unless I wanna get into the $400 range or so.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
The Garmin 500 is not on your list?

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Garmin 500 is not on your list?
I've only been searching for a half hour or so, I didn't get to that one yet ;)

But yes, I just checked it out & I do like that one. Don't know if I want to go to $250 for one or not, but it sure is sweet. I am disappointed to see no dual bike memory, though...

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
katz said:
Update - I should have mentioned that I prefer a large display. I also like the heart rate/temperature feature that I see on many of the computers.

So far I am considering;

Bontrager Node 2.1
Panoram V16 Dual Wireless
Sigma BC 2209 Targa

Guess GPS is out unless I wanna get into the $400 range or so.
I can't speak for two of your choices, but my wife got a Bontrager 5 wireless for her recumbent trike. It started screwing up after two days with inaccurate readings, failed start ups and dropping signal. She took it back and got a replacement and that one lasted just over a month before it died. We went and bought a Sigma 509 wired.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
I've only been searching for a half hour or so, I didn't get to that one yet ;)

But yes, I just checked it out & I do like that one. Don't know if I want to go to $250 for one or not, but it sure is sweet. I am disappointed to see no dual bike memory, though...
Maybe a step down to the 200 then :D

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't speak for two of your choices, but my wife got a Bontrager 5 wireless for her recumbent trike. It started screwing up after two days with inaccurate readings, failed start ups and dropping signal. She took it back and got a replacement and that one lasted just over a month before it died. We went and bought a Sigma 509 wired.
That's a shame...most of the reviews I read on the Bontrager's are rated pretty good. maybe they had a bad run of them. On the other hand, my Topeak is a Y2K model, although I have not used it since '03 or so.

I was surprised that it still worked after I replaced the battery. :)

On the Garmin's; I'm a little surprised that they won't accept data cards or do maps. For that kind of money I would expect those features. :confused:

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
On the Garmin's; I'm a little surprised that they won't accept data cards or do maps. For that kind of money I would expect those features. :confused:
Keep in mind, GPS is a funny term to me for most of the cycle computers. I have never read the history on that subject but I'm willing to bet they got developed as training aids for speed, HRM and cadence and not navigation aids. You could always use the bread crumb function in aq pinch i guess :) Well at least to get back home from whence you came :)

Keep them small, compact and lightweight.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rola,

Interesting... I was looking at the GPS models for just that - navigation. A few of the trails I am interested in have many legs that branch off & loop around. A place that a guy could easily get lost on. :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sigma makes awesome computers. I have the bc1609 wireless which has the temperature, cadence and dual bike memory features. Plus they come with a 5year warranty.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sigma makes awesome computers. I have the bc1609 wireless which has the temperature, cadence and dual bike memory features. Plus they come with a 5year warranty.
Sounds great, especially since I just ordered the Sigma BC 2209. :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
rola,

Interesting... I was looking at the GPS models for just that - navigation. A few of the trails I am interested in have many legs that branch off & loop around. A place that a guy could easily get lost on. :eek:
Although a bit pricey, the Garmin 800 has maps and (most) bells and whistles you could ask for.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although a bit pricey, the Garmin 800 has maps and (most) bells and whistles you could ask for.
Yes, love all those features! I could spend that amount if I had more time to spend on the bike and would use it more...but...

One main gripe I have with it and a lot of hi tech gadgetry is the small screen size.

1.4" x 2.2" - Huh? :eek:

I'm paying $450 for a feature packed device that has this size of a screen?

Barely larger than a matchbook cover?

These companies really have got to get on the ball and make these devices in a reasonable viewing size.

At a two feet viewing distance on a bouncing bike, I'm sure I could make out the mph number & that's about all. :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts