bicycle carrier for motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by snowbird, Oct 6, 2009.

1. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Has anyone heard of a bicycle carrier for a motorcycle? My situation is that soon I'll be in Florida with only a motorcycle as my basic transportation. I'd like to be able to carry my bicycle to different regions to ride there.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I've seen a motorcycle here that has a trailer with a bike rack. Looks like a homemade job, though.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

There was a crazy guy from South America that carried a tandem on his BMW motorcycle, so a single should be no trouble at all.

4. Industry_Hack

That may be the same guy, the one on the BMW. I think he lives in NoCal now.

5. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I'm going to try to make one. Kind of a rip off of a Thule design I saw.

6. Industry_Hack

Ok, so I was right. Ricardo is the one that carries his tandem on his BMW. Check this thread on another site.

7. Dahveed

Dahveed Guest

Seen it done

I saw this done in Houston a few years back. There is nothing I know of built for this, you need to build it yourself. The one I saw carried the bike sideways and high on the back rack of the moto. Depending on your moto, you might have to get someone to weld you up something. Hopefully your planning on taking a lightweight road bike and not some super heavy MB. I guess there are not too many mountains in FL ;)

Good luck with this.

8. Dahveed

Dahveed Guest

He carries his stoker on his moto too

This guy really knows how to pack it on his moto. Everything, including his stoker is on that bike. Crazy or genius - perhaps a little of both :D

9. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

wow, never would have thought of carrying a bike on a moto.

10. Industry_Hack

Oh, he's a lot of both.

11. monogodo

monogodo New Member

My brother mounted a Yakima rack to the back of his Honda 450 Nighthawk when he lived in Texas, and to his Kawasaki KZ550 when he lived in Wisconsin. Not sure how exactly he did it.

He now has a mount on the back of his current moto.

12. Industry_Hack

My Goldwing had a trailer hitch on the back. But that was two bikes ago. Can't see hauling a bicycle on my Harley.

13. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'd like to take my bicycle on my motorcycle as well, keep me posted on how it's going.

DrB

14. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Thanks again for your comments.

I figured I'd have to fabricate it myself. I just built a bike carrier for the front of my camper. I used Thule's "drop in" design, where it captures the front wheel and the back wheel drops into it's own cradle and locks it in with the weight of the bike. There's one little strap on the back wheel to keep it all from popping out. I like that the bike is supported on the tires so there's no straps rubbing the paint or messing with the cables.

The ones in the pictures carry the bike pretty high, maybe so not to obscure the brake light. Somebody did a beautiful job with that welded aluminum. But they appear permanently bolted on. I'd want mine easily removable.

My plan is to put the front tire high over the back passenger pillion. It'd be captured in 3 places on the tire. Then the back wheel drop down into it's own wedge for the tire holding it into place. Weight shouldn't be a problem. The carrier & bicycle shouldn't be over 75 lbs.

If I get it made I'll post a picture. I have it all in my mind, it's just a little difficult to explain. Plus I'll have to figure out how to mount it onto the cycle.

15. f1xedgear

f1xedgear SCREW COASTING

Snowbird, any joy yet in fabbing your bike rack? Where there's the will, there's a way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Is that yours fixedgear?

17. f1xedgear

f1xedgear SCREW COASTING

funetical, yes, the Triumph Street Triple is mine. I thought about the rack for over a year before making it. Not surprising, I suppose, but generally speaking motorcyclists who don't cycle don't like it. Nuts! I say to them.

18. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Honestly, FG, what other moto's think of it is irrelevant; you roll both, you love both, F them! You go, dude!