Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lighting issue law came up in lights and electronics, regarding what is required. That made me look at my state and I had the big idea to make a list of each states bicycle code book. I had grand ideas for it. After about 3 minutes of designing and searching, I had changed my mind, lot of work, about then I came upon massbike.org. They have an excellent list, and are a good site for Massachusetts bicyclists. Instead of hotlinking to their list I snagged the page and saved it to a free site so we don't drag their site down. The list is current as of october 26, 2007.

All work and effort for this list goes to massbike.org so if you get a chance support them also.

Here is the list as I have it saved.

State bicycle safety laws.

If anyone has more information or a link they want added let me know and I will add it.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Thank you

I went to the NJ site found on the list of state rules, and found a list of routes for bikeing
Thanks

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, I am not going to gaurentee anything will still be up as I said I copied and pasted it and haven't had a chance to check to see the links work or if there are other links that need to be added. So, if anyone finds anything wrong or wants something added let me know.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Most states are going to require lights at night, front/rear and side reflectors, at least one brake that can lock the wheel, and stipulate that cyclists obey the same rules of the road as motorists.

If your LBS can't supply you with local laws, punch them in the nose.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Most states are going to require lights at night, front/rear and side reflectors, at least one brake that can lock the wheel, and stipulate that cyclists obey the same rules of the road as motorists.

If your LBS can't supply you with local laws, punch them in the nose.
Yeah right, The salesperson at my LBS who I deal with is a very beautiful lady, first a punch to the nose would affect her looks and would make it less fun to look at her. Second, I won't hit a lady. Third she would stomp me into the ground if I even raised my voice at her, and I would be willing to bet that she could do it without breaking a sweat, or a nail. So I will have to pass on that advice and just use the available links and pray any police officers I deal with are nice, polite individuals who only stop me to say they like my bike and tell me about what they ride.:D

·
12,350 Posts
Yeah right, The salesperson at my LBS who I deal with is a very beautiful lady, first a punch to the nose would affect her looks and would make it less fun to look at her. Second, I won't hit a lady. Third she would stomp me into the ground if I even raised my voice at her, and I would be willing to bet that she could do it without breaking a sweat, or a nail. So I will have to pass on that advice and just use the available links and pray any police officers I deal with are nice, polite individuals who only stop me to say they like my bike and tell me about what they ride.:D
At my LBS, it's hard to tell which employees are male, and which are female. We went in to get my girl a bike, and no one helped us. I pulled one off the rack, had my girlfriend sit on it, adjusted the seat, then wheeled it up to the register. Since it was 100+ out, I put it on layaway until it cooled off a bit.

We went back a few weeks later to pick it up, and they rolled it out, had me sign a bunch of stuff stating I won't jump it, knew the road rules etc, and then gave me a coupon for a free tuneup. Since they don't use a computer, if I lose the coupon, no free tuneup. (Not a worry, I have more experience than their three mechanics combined. But still annoying)

No offer to explain the brakes/shifters, no offer to adjust the seat. Now, even if they knew who I was, that was just rude. The bike was obviously for my girlfriend, and not me, and yet, they didn't offer to show her how anything on this beginner's MTB works. And the didn't try to sell us any accessories - no helmet, pump, patch kit, gloves, nothing. Yeah, maybe a punch in the nose is harsh, but they were like buying over the internet, without the shipping cost.

It will be funny if I run into them at Interbike.

[edit] sorry for the rant

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would have found a different LBS. By buying from them you just validated their actions and they will continue to do the same in the future to others.

My LBS was just the opposite. I told them when I walked in the door what I was looking for and why. I also told them I was not going to buy right then but wanted to check out a few bikes. They built 2 bikes in my size so I could ride and compare the proper sized bike, both that they built were lower priced models than what they had on the sales floor. Being as I weigh 300 lbs. they had no info so contacted the bike maker to get the suspension setup for my weight. Multiple sittings and adjustments were made on each bike to make sure when I went out to test ride it fit me right, plus full explanation of each bike and it's components and how to use it. When I originally got to the LBS that day they had a group preparing for a ride and there were 20-30 people all getting helped with last minute parts and pieces before the ride. There were also a few other people there to get repairs done and all were handled professionally. After all the work they did for me they had no problem when I told them I wanted to go think about it. I left and drug out my journal of the bikes that I had ridden, at that shop and others.
Luckily I had checked the LBS around my house first so when I drove the 50 miles down there I had my homework done and was able to go back their after eating lunch and picking up the bike. The treatment I got and my observations while in there of how they treated others is more than enough for me to drive the 50 miles down there when I need bike parts or service. Plus the female there definitely looks like a female.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I would have found a different LBS. By buying from them you just validated their actions and they will continue to do the same in the future to others.
Ditto. If I wanted to be treated like a Wal Mart shopper, I'd go to Wal Mart. Luckily, I have many excellent bike shops to choose from.

·
12,350 Posts
Sadly, that's probably the best shop this town has to offer. We have a Trek boutique, but I wanted to get her a Giant. I would have built her a bike, but since this was her first MTB, I wanted to get her a shiny new one.

I've worked in a bike shop before, and we probably sold more bikes in one month than my LBS sells all year. There is no way we could get away with poor service. To give you an idea of the volume, this one store (it was a privately owned chain with three locations) had 2,000 bikes in stock. Yeah, I learned from the best, and patronized the worst.:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My experience with bike shops has been quite varied depending on which employee I talk to, as u might expect, but the over-arching attitude tends to be one of condescension. Although admittedly not an expert, I'm not an idiot either. Trying to sell me a $4000 cf road bike is going to send me to another shop. At least an attempt to suss out my needs would be appreciated.

·
12,350 Posts
My experience with bike shops has been quite varied depending on which employee I talk to, as u might expect, but the over-arching attitude tends to be one of condescension. Although admittedly not an expert, I'm not an idiot either. Trying to sell me a $4000 cf road bike is going to send me to another shop. At least an attempt to suss out my needs would be appreciated.
I've spent $8k building my own custom bike, from approving the CAD drawings to torquing the last titanium nut and bolt. I don't like being treated like an idiot.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My LBS won out by listening to me. I went in and told them "I am trying to get back into shape. As you can see I am a big heavy fat guy. I need a bike priced between $500 and $800, that will hold up to me." I was treated like a king, and they didn't talk under me like I was a kid and also didn't act like I should have more knowledge than I did. That is why they have my business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I knew a shop mechanic once that always took the time to explain the how to's with me and was always ready to make suggestions about components and gear. He left the shop and the clowns they have in there now have no idea what customer service is. In a way, switching to recumbents eliminated the need for me to go in there any more. It's too bad, I used to really like that shop. When I bought my first recumbent, I made an appointment and the owner (assembler, mechanic, sales guy) spent several hours showing me the different types of recumbents and how to ride the goofy things :p. I know not all bike shops can get that personal, but it was a treat.

Jeez, just realized this has nothing to do with the original start of the thread.. :eek:
Here in California, I looked up the cycling/traffic laws regarding lane usage and helmet law for starters...lets just say that it would need a few beers and/or cups of coffee to get thru all the "information" I found there. As I'm sure folks know... a good place to start is with the League of American Bicyclists web page for considerable information overload

1 - 13 of 13 Posts