Bicycle Pump Gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by funetical, Nov 19, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I found this on you tube thought somebody here might appreciate it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgOUkZiRx2s]YouTube - Bicycle-Pump Air-Cannon @ 43 PSI[/ame]

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Awesome! I wonder what he's shooting as the projectile.

3. Michigander

Michigander Member

You can make a system like that that has multiple air chambers for multiple shots between recharging. I used to like to press fit the caps on the ends of the PVC barrels. That is by far the most powerful projectile I know of for PVC cannons. Also fun when they hit something and shatter.

It's a cheap, fun hobby. Great for kids. Although I've realized as an adult who has done a lot of construction and demolition just how lucky I was that I never had PVC pipes blow up on me when pressurized. I used to use dry ice sublimation as a means to create pressure. That easily went over 300 PSI. Would have been a lot smarter to have used reinforced copper tubing for that high of pressures.

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Something to think about if you are using these with children who may over pressure them is to use ABS plastic instead of PVC. ABS when it fails doesn't break into many projectiles it usually just splits. PVC breaks apart into many small pieces that can become hazardous.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I never thought about that. Pvc does shatter into a million dangerous little pieces.

6. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Craziness. I like the idea of using a bicycle pump to build the pressure.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Right! I thought the same thing. I've seen compressors used just never a bicycle pump.