Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a trainer so I can get on my month old bike and keep in shape during the winter months.
whats the difference between a magnetic and fluid trainer. Is one better than the other?
I can only spend $150 on one right now ('tis the season), so whats my best option?
Thanks.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have a fluid it is a Ascent from Proformance bike it was on sale for under $100 last year, thay are a little over that right now. The Ascent works good but it is boring rideing on a trainer for me.
my ¢¢

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not a bad price. I know it is boring but twice a week for the next 3 months in front of the tv shouldn't be bad. is the ascent fluid trainer noisy though??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I prefer trainers too. I went to performance today and apparently they don't carry the ascent trainers anymore. :(

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Try Nashbar, I have there add it says Ascent fluid trainer $129.99 AS-FT1 I don't know if it is on sale right now or not. It is not noisy to me but I am verry hard of hearing, and old too

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Depends on how serious you're going to train. A cheaper trainer like the Performance one won't get to higher watt levels as the more expensive units, but that's ok if you're not going to get real serious on it. Otherwise the top three trainers in the mid price range (between $250 to $399) are Cyclops Fluid 2, 1Up, and Kurt Kinetics Road. I own the Fluid 2 and it's a great unit, had it for 8 years and no problems whatsoever. However, if I were to buy one today I would get the 1Up, it has a much higher wattage work out capability then the others and it's the only one now made in the USA.

If you keep you're eye on Craigslist these things come up all the time for less then half the cost.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You can go as hard as you want on the Ascent trainer. It does not limit the intensity or seriousness of your training.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about the CyclOps Fluid2 but spending $250+ for a trainer that I will use twice a week for 2 months doesn't seem worth it to me. Is it really worth it over the Ascent fluid trainer? I know the resistance level might be higher, but I just need something to keep my legs in shape for the next season.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't forget to check out regular stationary bicycles too. If you have trouble finding the trainer, the spin bike might work just as well for you for that length of time.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I thought about the CyclOps Fluid2 but spending $250+ for a trainer that I will use twice a week for 2 months doesn't seem worth it to me. Is it really worth it over the Ascent fluid trainer? I know the resistance level might be higher, but I just need something to keep my legs in shape for the next season.
If you're not a road racer and only going to use it just a little bit then get the Ascent and save money. It's a decent unit, but regardless at that price you won't get the level of work out the Fluid 2 or others are capable of. I guess what bothers me most about the Ascent is there is no company web site that I could find to check on the resistance levels. It can't be infinite like Nashbar claims, because if that's the case it would be the worlds best trainer because they all have limits. But if you're not going to ever race then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
In my limited experience, I found I could make the resistance on a cheap trainer so difficult it was close to if not impossible to turn the pedals (for me and probably even for a road racer). The limit of resistance maybe a selling point for the marketing of certain trainers but I don't think it's something that matters to the consumer.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
In my limited experience, I found I could make the resistance on a cheap trainer so difficult it was close to if not impossible to turn the pedals (for me and probably even for a road racer). The limit of resistance maybe a selling point for the marketing of certain trainers but I don't think it's something that matters to the consumer.
How do you increase the resistance on a trainer? I have a Fluid 2 and the only way to increase the resistance is to tighten the roller against the wheel, problem with that is that it will increase the heat from the friction of the tire and roller a lot, which in turn will shred the tire with bits of black tire dust going everywhere and leaving a black tire mark on the roller; on top of the fact the instruction set up manual says not to that.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The Ascent mag trainer I bought my mom has adjustable resistance. I assumed the fancy ones did too. Pardon my ignorance. If you use a multi-speed bicycle, changing gears will change the resistance to pedaling force.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Ascent mag trainer I bought my mom has adjustable resistance. I assumed the fancy ones did too. Pardon my ignorance. If you use a multi-speed bicycle, changing gears will change the resistance to pedaling force.
Of course changing gears does that, as it does with any trainer. I was talking about changing the resistance internally through the trainer, like certain computer trainers will change the resistance to simulate hill climbing etc. which is the way you made it sound like it could, though not automatically but rather manually by making some sort of adjustment to the trainer.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but that is the way it appeared to be worded since I and anyone else knew that changing gears did do that therefore you must have been talking about the unit itself. Again I misunderstood you.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yes it is true that I can adjust the resistance on the trainer I purchased!

"The Ascent mag trainer I bought my mom has adjustable resistance."

There is an adjustment on the unit.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Yes it is true that I can adjust the resistance on the trainer I purchased!

"The Ascent mag trainer I bought my mom has adjustable resistance."

There is an adjustment on the unit.
I'm not doubting you so please don't take this wrong. How do you adjust the resistance on the trainer? Of course I'm not talking about spinning faster and or changing gears.

Please do me a favor, read your directions about that trainer and see if it says you can increase the workout by increasing the tension. All my Fluid 2 says is to adjust the tensioner to it contacts with the tire then tighten it 2 1/2 turns then ride. Nothing about turning the tensioner (for example) 6 or more times to increase the workout. According to Cyclops if you over tension the roller on the rear wheel you will wear out the tire excessively.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts