Bicycling Feet go Numb

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Weav, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

After about 7 miles my feet start to tingle and then by 25 miles they are numb. I think my saddle height is correct. Could it be the shoes are too tight, the cleat placement maybe? My fitter says I need a longer stem to open me up and stretch me out a bit, could that be the fix? I don't know, any experts out there that would know?

2. Michigander

Michigander Member

As far as I know, the only thing that can cause that is blood flow restriction. So it seems to me, a number of things could cause this. Tight shoes, tight socks, tight shorts, maybe a seat that cuts blood flow off because it's too high up, or maybe the contour doesn't agree with your artery's.

If the cleats were positioned wrong, I'd be skeptical of the shoes themselves, because I'd think that would imply that they're bending in, and obviously lock in bike shoes should be stiff for that very reason.

Can't figure how stem adjustment would matter, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'd say all the above could cause it. I had a similar problem but I changed to a wider saddle on my commuter bike and it stopped.

4. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

blood flow restriction sounds like the logical problem. I do wear tight socks and my shoes have three straps over the top and I usually pull them fairly tight. My Look cleats can be adjusted moving the cleat forward/rearward and angling them certain ways which would put pressure on different parts of the foot on my downstroke pedaling.

I'm thinking I should try out a few new saddles. I have tried the Selle Anatomica that a friend has and it is very comfortable, hearing good things about the Cobb V-Flow saddles as well.

A longer stem would put me in a more stretched out position and thus change the way my weight is distributed on my bike.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I found small seats are painful.

6. GTi_roadkill

GTi_roadkill New Member

I always buy shoes a half size larger than other shoes. Your feet will swell slightly when riding from the increased bloodflow to the feet. If you're wearing shoes too small, your feet numbness could be the result. Do any of your toenails get discolored and fall off? That's another sign of shoes being too small.

7. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

No, they don't. Just get numb.

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Both feet at the same time? that's odd, but it gives you a nice control system to use to conduct experiments! Try tightening one shoe as normal, on the other foot try less pressure, a different sock etc. See what works on the test foot!

9. eaton

eaton New Member

My feet have gone numb when I've replaced cleats and didn't get their alignment right.

10. tankboy

tankboy Guest

If your pants are too tight they could be restricting the bloodflow in your legs also leading your extremities to go numb but its probably your shoes are too tight

11. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

I did have to wear my tri shorts last ride because I forgot to wash my bike shorts, and the numbness was by far worse, good thought tankboy. My fitter has also been playing around with my cleat placement, which could also be affecting it.