Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night as I was cleaning and putting the final touches on my bike to ride today I made some last minute decisions to make some kinda big changes, well at least one.

First I decided to adjust my saddle forward slightly and adjust the nose down a skosh, no big deal. Then I decided to move two of the shims from under my bars to on top lowering my bars. This one made me nervous knowing we were gonna do a bit longer ride today.

Turns out I should have done it along time ago! I felt a slight discomfort between my shoulders on long rides before and almost instantly felt more cpmfortable today! I was truly amazed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those small changes can make all the difference. I am to scared to change things as what I have now is comfortable but I think a 1cm raise of the saddle would probably be helpful in allowing me to power through the entire pedal rotation.

Simon

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have found that makeing an ajustment on my saddle it will feel good at first and then after a fue days of rideing it is not what I want. Maybe I nead to ride that ajustment more than a day or two to get the new posion hardend up.;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Friday night I broke the rule of not changing things prior to a big ride and this time it paid off. For the last couple months when I start hammering it I've felt like the seat needs to be moved back about a half inch. For whatever reason I'd only think about it while on the bike. So Friday night while prepping the bike for a charity ride I remembered. I hesitated, because 60 miles with the seat in the wrong place can make for a long day. I figured the worst that happens is I get to do a little maintenance on the side of the road. So I did it. As luck would have it, it was the right thing to do! Bike felt great all day. With I could say the same thing for my legs ;-)

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
It is great when changes work out!!
My LBS urges me to take time with adjustments. I understand, but I want all that to be behind me 'cause I wanna ride!!!!!! Lol

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might not look like much but it has made a world of difference. Moved to spacers up above the bars.

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol and a messy garage, can anybody spot Twospoke in this picture? "Two" bonus points awarded to the lucky spotter :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
rola643 said:
This might not look like much but it has made a world of difference. Moved to spacers up above the bars.
What was the desired effect? I'm assuming to make you more aero? You don't feel it in your lower back or does it seem to give you more of a stretch?

I ask because I am just now getting very comfortable riding in the drops for extended periods and have begun the dreaded thought of maybe having regrets getting the relaxed style frame as opposed to a more speed oriented frame. Doing something like this may help alleviate that regret a while longer if I can get that effect without compromising too much comfort.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the desired effect? I'm assuming to make you more aero? You don't feel it in your lower back or does it seem to give you more of a stretch?

I ask because I am just now getting very comfortable riding in the drops for extended periods and have begun the dreaded thought of maybe having regrets getting the relaxed style frame as opposed to a more speed oriented frame. Doing something like this may help alleviate that regret a while longer if I can get that effect without compromising too much comfort.
I wanted to be lower, more aero; ride with bent elbows more consistently. I have made a effort to try and keep things tucked into my body and keep less hangiog out there in the wind if you will this year. I really don't like riding in the drops much unless we are really riding hard or to get out of the wind a bit. I did adjust my saddle at the same time a bit forward and has worked out very well. After 30 miles or so I would feel a slight pinch between my shoulder blades sometimes, not anymore! I do feel it more in my lower back but nothing bothersome.

I made that mistake with my first road bike too. I was deathly afraid I would never adjust to riding all bent over like that being the old fart I am :) But now I look to be as aggressive as my age/body will allow.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find it's better to make single small adjustments otherwise you get confused as to which decision or adjustment was a good one.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I find it's better to make single small adjustments otherwise you get confused as to which decision or adjustment was a good one.
I agree! But these two would leave no doubt in my mind which did what. Saddle did indeed need a tweak. I try not to move that to much in any one direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts