BIG Dogs!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Skidmark, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Yesterday I took a side trip on my way home to cool down out where its sparsley popluated. There were two houses on this road about three miles long. Beautiful lake along the way. Half is paved the other half hard packed limerock. I had seen a really nice buck on the way down. Basicly its a dead end as the cross road is to sandy for me to ride. On the way back out I saw what I thouht were more deer in the distance. I will admit my eyesight is not perfect and there was sweat on my glasses. At 250 yards I realized the "deer" was actually a Great Dane, and two Rotweilers. I stopped! They were just staring, I took a defensive position behind the bike, got the pepper spray ready, made sure my 380 was handy but not out. After a minute the dogs decided to stay on the track of the buck. I had to suck it up and ride past where they were to get home. I was glad I had more than a water bottle as that Great Dane looked at me like I owed him money!

2. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

YUP, been there

3. Skidmark

I should add that I am a huge dog lover and have owned them my whole adult life. The last thing I want to do is harm one. BUT, a pack of dogs out running wild chasing deer and sizing me up get my attention.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Have you considered an air horn rather than a spray?

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Me too, but there are times when instinct takes over and they are very unpredictable. Sounds like what you saw could have been just such a case with them already in "hunt" mode.

Back in college I was riding my MTB up on campus. On my way back to the apartment (I was actually just pulling into the parking lot), two bull mastiffs started chasing me. Needless to say, those are also "big dogs". One knocked me off my bike and nipped my leg right outside my apartment. I knew I couldn't get in the door, so I raised my bike over my head, yelled, and charged them. This confused them just enough to give me enough space to jump in the bed of my truck. Animal control had already been called, because the dogs had already bitten someone else. Animal control seized them and told me they would observe them for signs of rabies and call me later. They told me to go the ER to get the wound cleaned.

I got a call later that month saying that they showed no signs of rabies, but that the male had to be euthanized, because he was just too aggressive. Animal control also told me that the reason the dogs were so aggressive is that they had been mistreated and neglected. It turns out they had been being kept at a rental house in the neighborhood, and the tennants had moved out and abandoned the dogs leaving them locked in the fence. They finally got hungry and dug their way out, and that's when I was unfortunate enough to come upon them. Even after getting attacked, I still hated to hear that he had to be put to sleep, especially when his aggressiveness was the result of abuse.

6. Industry_Hack

Anyone else have issues with dogs?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

All the time. Good move though skidmark. How do you carry your .380? I always have a hard time hiding the fact that I carry on my bike.

8. Industry_Hack

Would you consider an air horn over pepper spray?

9. Skidmark

Air horn? No but sounds like something I should add to the bag I have that holds my cable and lock. A non harming inital line of defense. Thanks.

Xhela, that is a dam scary story! There have been hundreds of foreclosure's in this area. A lot of folks including one of our neighbors just packed up and left the state. Leaving behind a a lot of cats and dogs to fend for themselves. Its also brought on some looting by some pretty low life individuals. Being we are fairly rural, I just want to be safe.

funetical, I wear a small fanny pack when riding with my phone, keys, ID, ten bucks, and 380 inside.

10. Industry_Hack

I'm asking for a reason. One of the companies I spoke to at Interbike makes a product that you might be interested in. I'll have them post here.

11. Skidmark

Sounds great. Likely sized better than the marine version I am thinking of.

12. Industry_Hack

I don't have issues with dogs, so I couldn't comment on the product, but they would certainly like to get some feedback.

13. Skidmark

Although I make every effot to avoid the areas I know have a loose dog in the yard and do not have daily issues with them, they are a concern and something I deal with a couple of times a week. Uasually, I can turn around, stop and yell, or just pick up speed. There are times when I just have to face them. I would buy three right now, my wife and daughter are riding now.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Absolutely not. A lot of dogs are able to ignore it. They need the pain response in order to establish submission. It sucks, I don't like it, but if the air horn doesn't work your another statistic.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Dang Xela your story makes me feel bad for the dogs. I always have to remember bad dogs means bad owners. It's a shame that's the way it is, but they have no fear of us and are generally trained to be aggressive. I'm about to buy a "Daddy's dog". I built an enclosure in my back yard to keep a more aggressive dog breed for security purposes. For some reason my eight pound Rat terrier doesn't provide the level of security I need living in a city with home invasion issues.

16. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

This might make avoiding the areas a little easier. Not much info there yet (not any for my state), but I think it's a pretty new site.

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f39/roadguardian-com-interesting-idea-2034/#post9787

17. Biker

Biker New Member

I have a daddy dog. German Boxer. He's huge and mean. You guys carry guns when you ride?

18. Industry_Hack

I live in Utah, where everyone carries.

19. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

In N.J. you can't evean carry a water phistol legally.

20. Industry_Hack

You can go into a gun shop and buy a .50 caliber rifle, and walk out with it the same day. For the $200 stamp (plus the cost of the gun) you can own a full auto.

This was at the police range. Full auto Uzi.

[​IMG]