bike biathlon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Questor, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Questor

Questor New Member

About 5 or six years ago a friend and I started doing what we ended up calling "bikathlon". Riding our bikes on the trails on my property and shooting our .22's at preset targets. Basically a Biathlon on bicycles. The other day he mentioned that he heard that this was already a "sport" before we started it. I was just curious if anyone else has heard of this. I thought we had come up with something new.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Interesting. I suppose that would justify swapping my heavy bull barrel for a carbon fiber one, but I prefer to keep my cycling separate from my shooting. And no, I don't think I've heard of this before.

3. Questor

Questor New Member

It actually started when the ATV's got "borrowed" one hunting season. We went out on the bikes just as a joke to our wives. Damned if it didn't work for us. Except the 06's were a bit heavy and cumbersome. That Spring we set up a course in my "Lower 40" and started. We use pistols, rifles and try to incorporate the bikes into different shooting positions. Good exercise and a lot of fun. We only go for points, with the thought that if we clock things we may get reckless.

4. madal

madal New Member

Now this is right up my street:D, I am into air rifles as well as bikes so what a brilliant combination to keep fit and enjoy yourselves at the same time:cool:

5. Questor

Questor New Member

works really well for us

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. London

London Guest

Questor, I was a member of the US National biathlon team from 77-79. That's XC skiing and .22 rimfire rifle. I still shoot in events up in Vermont several times per winter. Never heard of the bike event but I like the idea. The only other "athlon" event I've done is snowshoeing and shooting handguns, just like the skiing biathlon. Northern New England has a heritage of winter endurance sports and shooting. When it's that cold and dark for so long, you have to make something to do.

P.S. Shooting a rifle offhand with your heart banging 180 is so hard it's hard to describe. If you were relaxed and calm it would be so easy as to be boring. But that heartbeat thing makes the round targets look and act like dancing aspirin tablets.