Bike Cameras?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Farnsworth, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

After reading about all the accident's wouldn't it make sense to have a bike mounted camera so you couldn't be contested or at worse find the person that hit you? Do they make these?

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Not a bad idea. I have been looking into bike mounted cameras for a while now, and the idea of being able to identify someone that has "wronged" me on the road would be a factor.

3. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Several questions: Would this camera be for use after an incident, or while it is occuring?

If during an incident, how would you ensure that the camera is pointed in the appropriate direction, unless you plan some sort of 360 degree setup? Second, how to trigger it (or do you just run it continuously?

For afterwards, I generally have my cell phone (with it's reasonable camera) with me, and given 20-30 seconds prep time, I can take photos of an accident scene, etc., unless I am incapacitated or the phone is broken. Whether I can get it into play quickly enough to capture a license plate number, etc., would depend on the specific situation.

I do know of a couple folks with velomobiles who have mounted vid cameras front and rear. Some of their vids showing peoples' reactions to the VMs are pretty hilarious.

BTW, RAM Mounts makes almost any sort of mount you can think of. Want to take your laptop on your bike?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

What I am referring to is capturing the actual accident as it happens. Granted your field of view with the camera would be limited, so of course you will miss things like getting rear-ended, etc... But those times where a cyclist is cut off and ends up in the rear quarter panel of the car would be captured. A good camera mount covering the road ahead would show the cyclist held his line, meaning the driver didn't take proper precautions when attempting to pass/overtake the cyclist. Its not an answer to a problem, just another tool that could be beneficial.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think it would be more important to capture the event. It's a good idea some one ought to develop it. With the sizes of cameras getting smaller you could probably mount a few in all the cardinal directions.

6. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

They put them in cars why not on bikes.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Hard to say which would be best for a single camera - left side rear facing, covering six to nine o'clock, or forward facing, covering covering nine to noon. It wouldn't have to be expensive, since it would be fixed focus, with a wide angle lens. Recording capacity wouldn't have to be much either. Maybe 30 minutes, then you record over the existing data? No need to record your entire ride.

Sounds like a good project for someone.

8. Engyo

9. Michigander

Michigander Member

Carrying a recorder on a bike or car is a great idea. But it's a tricky thing to do well. It is nearly impossible to find a portable recorder that is durable enough to be set up somewhere and left alone, has a battery capacity to go all day, and has enough storage to record all day.

Those helmet mountable cameras are nice, and I've seen them go for 100 bucks at Costco, and 100-250 elsewhere. Only potential problem is battery life. 6 or 8 hours of capacity is great, but worthless if you've only got an hour and a half of battery life.

Edit to add: It's also important to remember that in some places, recording someone without their consent is illegal. It may be a good idea to have a little disclaimer on the camera that says "warning, you are being recorded, talking to me or being near me is your consent"

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Engyo....when I clicked the link, I got nothing. Just an error page from Amazon. Whats the manufacturer and model of the camera the link was pointing too. I am looking into getting something for next season and any suggestions are welcomed.

11. Industry_Hack

If the laws for video are the same as laws for photography, then recording in public places for non-commercial means should not present an issue.

12. Michigander

Michigander Member

In Michigan, I've spoken to 2 reputable lawyers who can't even agree on the meaning of Michigan's laws and rulings pertaining to recording.

13. Industry_Hack

"Reputable lawyers". :rolleyes:

14. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

In most states, people have little to no expectation of privacy when they are in public so video recording, or still photo is not usually a legal issue. (If you remember, this was a bone of contention with Goodle Earth when they started rolling out their "cityview" feature.) Its the audio recording that could get you into trouble. Most states require that both parties be aware that audio is being recorded (the person recording, and the 2nd party being recorded). Easiest way to find out what your laws are in your area is to take a walk down a busy city street, especially around banks or financial institutions. Look up and see if you can find the CCTV cameras. If you see them, more likely then not, you have no expectation of privacy in that jurisdiction when in public. Now if you start to video tape in a dressing room or public bathroom, your going to get into hot water....but that isn't what we are talking about here.

15. Michigander

Michigander Member

Dean Greenblatt and Steve Dulan. Both are very good at what they do.

16. Michigander

Michigander Member

whyeye, every state has different laws. Frankly, I don't think video without audio is even worth having, and I can't even think of a modern recording device I've seen that lacks an audio recording function.

Perhaps I have too much of a cover your ass attitude, but I am a firm believer that someone is better safe than sorry.

17. Engyo

The link worked for me just now, but here is the MF/Model:

ContourHD – HD Helmet Camera by VholdR

18. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I agree that every state has different laws, so you would have to do a little research to find out what your specific state allows. As far as video without audio, there are several different setups for vehicles that use this type of technology. I know limo companies here in Boston have windshield mounted cameras that activate when a certain amount of pressure is put on the break pedal. The idea is that they will catch rear-end collisions (or any type of front end collision), but won't be recording 24/7. I guess back in the day, limos were good targets for insurance scammers. Pull in front of the vehicle, slam on your breaks and collect the big pay out. If I remember correctly, part of this original thread was the idea of using cameras to capture accidents for evidentiary purposes later. If this is the case, then audio need not be an issue.

19. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Thanks. Switched PC's and the link worked fine.