Bike Cleaning

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dirtydave, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dirtydave

dirtydave Guest

How often do you guys clean your bikes, chain, rims? I heard you could put car wax on the frame, anyone do this?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yup, I've waxed my bike frame before. It makes it easier to get the crud off.
    I rarely use water though. Usually, I just use a rag and wipe it down as needed.

If you do use water, only use low pressure to avoid forcing water where it doesn't belong like in hubs, suspension pivots, and bottom brackets.

3. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I clean my bike fairly regularly but it really depends on the conditions i have been riding in. If no mud and muck then i just lube it up and go. A little dirt doesn't hurt! Never use high pressure water as said above though. I have never waxed my frame b/c i dont think it helps that much but just my opinion.

4. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

I clean my recumbent about noce a month or as needed. I commute to/from work so when I ride in the rain, even with fenders it needs cleaning more regularly. It takes about a half an hour to completely wash it and rinse it. To dry it I literally take it for a drive on my Jeep. I put it on the rear tray carrier and drive to the mall, via the interstate and back. Then I relube everything.

5. camilo

camilo New Member

Same here. Dust and light dirt should be ignored, unless you have nothing else meaningful to do with your life. I spend some time on the chain every 300-400 miles or so. When I do clean the bike, I have an old spray bottle with clear water in it (an old 409 bottle). I use that and regular 409 spray and a couple of rags to clean it. I've never used a hose or spent more than 5 minutes, or about 15 minutes per year, cleaning a bike.

6. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

After every hard ride my rigs get hosed off, hand dried, fork oil, and chain lubed. Moderate use, I space it about 3-5 rides. I also check and torque all linkage points and make sure my hanger is straight.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

A clean bike is faster. Right? :)

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I rarely clean mine besides the chain and brakes. Exception is when I go riding near the Coast, so I get all that salt water off.

9. coeceo

coeceo Guest

This.

409 works great for a quick clean. After a muddy ride, a hose might be needed.

10. digitalmouse

digitalmouse Recumbent Evangelist

maybe not faster, but will certainly last longer!

in my case (a recumbent trike) I do lose some speed when the derailleur and chain guides get gummed up with mud/oil-covered gunk/tree limbs/etc. i focus on those, making sure they are cleaned and well oiled (along with the chain of course). other than the occasional wiping off of mud/splattered oil and keeping the cables adjusted, i don't do too much maintenance. Perhaps twice a year (spring/fall) i'll give it a thorough once-over. it's survived for 3 years and 7,000km!

11. Bebop

Bebop Guest

So I take it none of you guys do a back flip into a swimming pool on your bike (while catching a mountain dew out of the air) to clean it?

12. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Make that a Dale's Pale Ale and I'm there.;)

13. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I'm in, but my wife doesn't think our above ground pool can handle it. :D

14. jocww

jocww New Member

I clean my road bike after every ride or at least try to. My mountain bike only when something doesnt sound right or Im bored

15. Kennan

Kennan Guest

Funny you asked this question and your username is DirtyDave! lol

Do any of you guys use wax after cleaning your bike? Keep it pretty and shiny?

16. jocww

jocww New Member

wax chain lube

17. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

18. Sean

Sean New Member

I wash mine with a bucket of soap and water. And wax the frame just cause I like it shiny.

As for chain lube. I haven't found that much is needed. I clean the goop off, and use a mixture of 4 parts mineral spirits, 1 part 30 weight oil. A little goes a long way.

19. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

When my bike gets really dirty I ride in the rain to wash the big clumps off.
    Monsoons are good for something...

I keep the important bits clean/serviced, like drivetrain parts and bearings.

20. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Reading this post the other night inspired me to go clean the road bike. I have a Pedro's pit-stop kit. Came with frame wax, lube, degreaser, brushes, bucket, sponge, and towel. Excellent kit for all your cleaning needs.

Plus, I discovered that my bottle holder holds a homebrew nicely. In this case an IPA.

IMG00294.jpg