bike computer?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by chibibike, Mar 14, 2011.

1. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I currently use a ram mount/garmin 60c set up to see how fast and how far i'm going but is that over kill to use the gps considering the weight that mount/unit can add compared to just a bike computer? Do you think if I wanna be able to go as fast as I can go i should minimize the amount of stuff and weight on my bike and perhaps even get a lighter fork?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If speed is your primary concern, start over with a proper road bike. As far as computers go, get yourself one that measures and displays cadence. Once you have a decent mileage base, you can start working on intervals, where you ride at an elevated cadence for a short period of time, then have a few minutes of recovery, followed by another hard effort.

There is no piece of gear that can replace saddle time for developing speed.

3. chibibike

chibibike Banned

well i've already invested 1300 on this bike and since I go on trials a lot i think something like this would be better for me but i just wanna be able to go at least 25-30MPH on a 4 mile stretch of pretty flat road going my office . maybe down the road if i am biking a lot more on roads i'll get a trek madone but i just started getting into biking. I wanna work with what i have right now and i just want to squeeze what i can out of what i got with making some upgrades here and there and whatnots

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Does that fork have a lock-out knob that you can turn to make it rigid? Also, at those speeds, clothing can make a difference of at least 1-2 mph. Loose clothing flapping in the wind is one way to rob yourself of free speed.

5. chibibike

chibibike Banned

yeah i haven't tried riding it fast with the fork locked.

6. Xela

That should be a noticable difference.

7. chibibike

chibibike Banned

i just took off my headlight, ram mount gps holder, lock and saddle bag and it weighs 6 lbs less now.

8. chibibike

chibibike Banned

i'll just put a lil computer right on the stem and that shouldn't add much weight at all i think, def not like a big gps and mount set up. I'm thinking about the cat eye strada double or whatever it's called that also counts candance......

9. chibibike

chibibike Banned

don't i need to have a saddle bag though?

10. Xela

Definitely, though I'm fairly minimalist with mine. I have two levers, a tube, a multitool, a CO2 cartridge and inflator head, and a spare truck key. I can fit all of that in this one, and I love the fact that it doesn't have velcro straps around the seatpost to rub my shorts:

ArundelBike.com - Dual Seat Bag

2010 Arundel Dual Seat Bag - Competitive Cyclist

11. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

bike clothes will help as Xela said, the fork lockout will be a world of difference.
    cadence... is huge.
    speed is directly related to how fast you spin.... and for how long
    clipless pedals will improve your pedaling efficiency and cadence thus your speed.

12. ReCYCLE

ReCYCLE New Member

I just can't get over how hot that bike is.