Bike courier dragged after colliding with car

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by jsbarks, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Tragic, roadrage maybe, but as stated in the article, people need to remember the car weighs 2000lbs, the bike 16.... just truly sad and terrible ending.

DrB

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Actually, most cars on the road weigh well over 2000 lb. The Lotus Elise, known for its extremely low weight, weighs in at 2000. The current generation Corvette weighs 3100. SUVs can easily be 5000 plus.

Basing this calculation on a 3500 lb car, in order for a 200 lb cyclist/bike combination to produce the same energy as a 3500 lb car going as slow as 15 mph, the cyclist would have to be traveling 63 mph. Just illustrates how dangerous a vehicle can be, especially in the hands of an angry or inattentive driver.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Bummer. Multiple bikers in Austin get killed every year. Glad to see more and more bike awareness groups popping up.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Nuts. Just nuts.

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Been following this story on another forum, where there are some seriously vigilant activists (oh, the stories...); it defies rational belief. But there has been enough evidence for me to piece together the events. Mr. Former A-G is in trouble (or would be if it wasn't for political connections)!

It was dark; the bikie (Aussie term) was a little drunk, having been 'sent on his way' by the local po-po's not too long before that, after his gf called them about his conduct. The bikie passed Mr. AG, who was parked at the curb; bikie had no lights that I could see (vid resolution wasn't THAT good!). Mr. AG pulled out, hit bikie from the right rear, knocked him over. Bikie apparently (according to witnesses) went off on AG, smacking his pack down on AG's hood. AG backed up a bit, tried to go around the bike in the street. Bikie grabs hold of the car, gets dragged down the street, and in this process, AG crosses over to the wrong side of the street. Using street fixtures to try and brush bikie off the car, he succeeded, but bikie fell under the wheels, getting run over and killed. Someone (guessing AG's wife, also in the car) called 911. AG drove away, found later at a hotel.

To me, the fact that he crossed to the wrong side of the street shows intent to do harm, as he was going pretty fast. Maybe -- MAYBE -- he was so panicked that that's all he could think to do to get the crazy guy off his car; I don't buy that, as he's got a background as a scrappy guy.

Bottom line -- I think AG needs to go down for vehicular manslaughter.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Sounds like bikie was the aggressor and drunk to boot. A good attorney should be able to put together a pretty strong self defense case. Bikie did not have to continue to hold on to the car. He could have let go and most likely saved his own life. Sounds like pretty bad judgment on both parts.

7. Biker

Biker New Member

Bikie needed to chill. Sucks that it ended that way. Play the fool and see what happens.

8. crazystreet

crazystreet Guest

Whether he could let go without getting partially run over or slung into something depends on a) how fast the initial acceleration was, fear could have kept him holding on b) whether the person was swerving alot or c) if they were moving at an angle towards where the person was to where if they let go they would go under the car...

9. Biker

Biker New Member

I understand some things about physics, but lets evaluate something. He aggressively grabbed the door. At the point were fear wouldn't have allowed him to release it was already his fault. This seems to be a clear case of unrestrained anger and the physical consequences of such.

10. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

11. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

No, bikie couldn't just let go, the car was pretty quickly up to 56mph. That's the speed it was estimated by multiple witnesses when bike was 'swiped off' the side of the car. 20mph and a slam on the brakes would have dislodged him, and the car could have escaped. Mr. A-G wasn't some timid little mouse, he could well have done this.

Sorry, don't see self-d here.

12. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

That is why, I:

1. Take the lane
    2. Ride as if, every motorist is 'blind as a bat'
    3. Wear TWO reflective vests
    4. Always use lights
    5. Do NOT wear a Walkman radio
    6. Always wear a helmet