Bike disc brake squealing

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Mar 9, 2010.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Yesterday I had a flat on the front of my Absolute 1.0 I took it to the bike shop for its 100 mile ajust and to get the flat fixed, it has a disc brake. when he put the wheel back on it was making a screeching sound when spun it, so he mest with the alinement of the wheel, all is good he said I rooled it out the door seamed fine. But when I rode it after just 100 yards the screech came back. When I loosened the skewer the noise went away. but when I went around a conner the niise came back. I know there is something going on with the disc brake alinement is there somthing that neads to be done to aline the rottor and calaber. like maybe putting on the brake after the roter is in the calaber and then tighting the lever that holds the wheel on .

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Flip your bike over, and R&R the front wheel. If you still have brake rub, take it back and make them adjust the brake properly. You should learn to do it yourself, but sounds like the shop had no clue. Was it their mechanic, or just some kid on the floor?

3. wild

Thanks I will give it a try tomarow BlazingPedals
    Hack yes it was one of there mechanics. thay like to have it back after 100 miles to check every thing. I thaught I might as well have them replace the tube, as I only pay for parts, I did ride it 25 miles today and the screeching went away for the most part.

4. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

looks like your packing on the miles. I would talk to the bike shop about swapping out your tires. with all the miles you are riding it might be a good idea to buy some gator skin tires or maybe some schwalbe marathons plus or even schwalbe blizzard. since your tires are new you might be able to get a credit. Sorry to hear about your flat you should take the bike back and make sure they fix the brakes correctly. Don't forget to pick up a spare tube and co2 pump.

5. wild

Hi Jagon454 The tire that is on there is pertty close to a slick and I keep them at 120#. On the brakes I can't understand what he could of done to make them rub on the pad that does not move. I was realy likeing the disc brakes as some of the comments said thay were lo end and might not do the job . Let me tell you thay stop and maybe stop to good.

6. Industry_Hack

Let me clarify my comment. If you turn your bike over and remove the wheel, then put it back on, it should be seated in the dropouts properly. A quick spin will tell you if the rotor is warped. When you tighten down the QR, you'll be able to check brake clearance. None of this can be done easily with the bike upright.

If it was ok before they changed the flat, it should be ok after. The rubbing is probably because the wheel is not centered in the dropouts.

7. wild

Yes I agree it should it should be good after if it was good befor. Thay had the wheel off a cupple of times trying to get it right,. it was not making noise when it left the shop but the first bump I hit screeeeeech, I took the wheel off and on a cuple of times trying to get it on with no screech this morning I went out and ajusted the caliper 1 click out on the inside 1 click in on the pistion side , no more squeek evean when I make a hard turn so it looks like we are in for some riding.:D again
    Thanks to all for the help

8. Industry_Hack

Glad you're back on the road again.