Bike engine kit

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by timothy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. timothy

timothy Guest

2. Misfit

Misfit Guest

Watch the youtube video about building on in the videos section to get the rudimentary idea..... then compare the more difficult things they guy say you'll need to the parts they give you :D

3. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

It's a no-brand engine, probably from China. It may not last very long. But you'd only have $129 into it.

Kits that use name-brand engines seem to be in the $600 range.

4. hellrider

hellrider Guest

How fast can you go with these things? I would think faster than a moped with the same engine as a bike is actually lighter??

5. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

From looking at the claims on their ads, 25 mph is common. There's a guy in my area that has one that mounts above the rear wheel and he seems to go about 20 mph most of the time without any trouble. It may be more a matter of the kit's designed gear reduction than a power limitation.

6. comp

comp New Member

any updates ??

7. water

water Guest

I just saw one claiming you can go 40mph in an advertisement...

8. regulator

regulator Guest

I have tried getting pulled behind a car with skates on, my feet started to wobble and the wheels were way too small and light to hold me to the ground well at that speed..... I can imagine a similar thing will occur with a bicycle traveling too fast?

9. comp

comp New Member

that would be nice,,got a link ??

10. Pariah

Pariah Guest

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzTskvsd6U]YouTube - Riding Bicycle 40mph with 80cc engine w/o baffle[/ame]

bbbbbrrrrrrrrginnnnnninnnnnngadingdinginddingding dingggggggvrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm

whats baffle......? it says that in the title

11. Xterrain

Xterrain New Member

Hahaha, I want to put that on my 7" travel Iron Horse! Under 99cc so it'd be good to go anywhere I want without lisence / reg / tags, LOL.

12. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

A baffle is part of the muffler. So I think they are explaining the engine noise.

13. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

Looking at the designs, I'd say the weight distribution is better with the engines that mount in the frame, like a motorcycle, as opposed to mounting behind the seat. Keep in mind that your bike doesn't have the suspension or brakes that a moped has. A steady speed of 20-25 mph, including uphill, will probably be a great improvement over pedalling. Unless you're a really strong biker. I have a moped and I ride mostly at 25-30.

14. buckrogers007

buckrogers007 New Member

my 50cc schwinn cruiser build I like to keep at 20-22mph. I would like a front suspension to go a little faster. But when on a motorbike, 20-22 is fine:)

I have a old (95) great condition Judy suspension fork...but would need to get the tube changed out to 1" for cruiser bike...mt bikes use 1 1/8 and nonthreaded.

A good spring seat and 2.3 fat tires with less air is what a lot of folks do in the motorbike world.

Peace

15. pauleti

pauleti New Member

I've had a chinese cruiser with a 49cc engine for exactly a year with almost no probems. You have to remember that they are different to U.S. specs. I believe a 60cc engine from china is less than 50cc. Also I would say that top speeds are about 30 35 mph max. As for lasting power last week I went 100 kms. almost non-stop and with no pedaling with no problems and that was on 1.35 litres of gas. You just have to remember that motorbicyles are for fun and economy and if you treat them well they'll give repay you back.

16. pnz

pnz New Member

BikeBerry

I bought a BikeBerry 66/80cc and they do stand behide there warranty.
    Yes, these little engines are easy to install with little experience.
    All you need is a bike frame that will allow the engine to fit.

Happy Biking, PNZ

17. craisin

craisin New Member

Well the fixed drive models seem prone to overheat, only one gear having to rev it too hard to get a decent speed.
    A lot have progressed to shift kitted bikes:thumbsup:

18. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

The kits based on fan-cooled engines should be pretty much immune to overheating.

My moped has a 2-speed automatic transmission. It's a pretty simple design, but it works well.

One of the engine posts somewhare on this forum mentioned Franco Morini engines. I looked them up. They are real 50-cc motorcycle engines. Some have incredible power outputs -- much more than would be safe on a bicycle retrofit. One problem with motorcycle / moped engines: they have the drive sprocket on the left side of the engine, as opposed to bicycles having the sprocket on the right.

Check this out: Whizzer Motorbikes

19. craisin

craisin New Member

I think the fan-cooled kits have wider engines to accomodate a flywheel fan, so they need to mount high in the bike=high center of gravity.
    My friend and I bought china 2 strokes.
    I put my freewheel and longer crank-axle that sopposidly you need to clear the engine.
    I rode the Bike with the new parts on but no motor and either the the bottom bracket shaft was bent or it bent on a 10 mile pedal so i found a bearing cage broken and another 10 pedal had the bearing needing ajustment again.
    So its back in with the original bottom shaft thats shorter and there half an inch clearance anyway.
    My friend decided to use a bigger frame so we pulled his engine from a low top bar bike and the bottom shaft needed adjustment so 2 out of 2 were bad :thumbsup:
    The seatpost on mine got a smaller tube knocked in with the seat off to make the rear mount stonger and I have half rounds to strengthen the front mount.
    I will port match the exhaust to stop it taking on heat and make it flow better so the heat goes out the pipe:thumbsup:
    I am remaining quiet about induction mods atm:thumbsup:

20. 47Steve

47Steve New Member

The moped tuners know a lot about increasing 2-stroke performance. Tuned exhausts (with an expansion chamber) are quite popular. Keep in mind that modifications that enhance the flow to or away from a 2-cycle engine also require that you increase the fuel flow, to maintain the same fuel:air mixture. Otherwise, the mixture becomes lean, which results in higher engine temperatures and the risk of seizing the piston. You can evaluate the mixture by examining the color of the spark plug electrode insulator. Start with a new plug, run it a while, preferably near full throttle, then check the plug. White/gray = too lean, brown/tan is OK, black = too rich.

Check out the Moped Army forum. They might give you some crap for not having a real moped, but they love 2-cycle engines.