Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We deal with two LBS. Both now have the computerized video fitting. Its pricey but now that we are riding longer and in groups I wanted to see if the feet & hand numb thing could be fixed. I did the BG Fit. Took three hours. I learned a lot during the process, looked silly on that TV screen. They put a wedge in one of my shoes, adjusted the seat down a tad, changed the stem, and rolled the bars up a touch. When I left I thought to myself I maybe should have spent the cash on a gadget. After first ride I was very suprised to see my knee no longer had that ache, hands and feet were fine, and felt very comfortable. After second ride, I realized it was the first time I wished the ride was longer! Worth the investment for me.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
LBS? I have seen you refer to it in a few threads now.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Ok, that makes since now!

No problem, I love what I do! And I will retire at 39...or 8 years from now:D

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Technically, it's Local Bike Shop. Apparently, "store" only implies sales, while "shop" implies sales and service.

One of the big distributors at Interbike last year gave away "Support your local bike shop" shirts and stickers.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Yeah I'm all about the local shops for sure!

·
pedal pusher
121 Posts
the computerized fit or "body scan' is bogus. it's a marketing thing for sizing more than true fitting.

a true fit needs to be addressed by a trained, experienced professional.

things need to be taken into account, such as...

flexibility
prior injuries or pain
what type of riding
cleat placement
and a lot more really

i charge 125-250 for a fit depending on what needs to be done.

i've been fitting for over 5 years and learn more with every fit.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
i recently had a fitting and was surprised. seat way too low. Gripping bars too tight, and was rolling my feet outward when i pedal. All of those were causing me numbness issues. Working on resolving them now...

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
the computerized fit or "body scan' is bogus. it's a marketing thing for sizing more than true fitting.

a true fit needs to be addressed by a trained, experienced professional.

things need to be taken into account, such as...

flexibility
prior injuries or pain
what type of riding
cleat placement
and a lot more really

i charge 125-250 for a fit depending on what needs to be done.

i've been fitting for over 5 years and learn more with every fit.
Have you tried it as a basis for comparison?

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I dont know what a computer scan is. BG fit is done by a bike fit guy that does only that. I can say with confidance that at least at this store he knows his caca. It took three hours. He measured by hand everything but my pecker. Total body history, flexibiity, Thomas test, plumb bobs, etc. He then took a 15 min. interval to input all the data in the puter. Then did a 3d video of me riding on the trainer at various speeds. Then on two 60" TV screens he played it back in slow mo with vertical and horzontal axis on my knees & hips. From that he came up with I needed a wedge in right shoe, raised seat. changed bars. Then started the trials of moving things a couple of mm each way to see how it felt. They charge 250 for it, 200 if you got your ride there. You can also revisit the fit any time in the future on that ride. For me, worth it.

·
pedal pusher
121 Posts
Have you tried it as a basis for comparison?
yes, i've been trained on BG and Fit Services, i go for seminars/recaps every winter to stay up on things.

I dont know what a computer scan is. BG fit is done by a bike fit guy that does only that. I can say with confidance that at least at this store he knows his caca. It took three hours. He measured by hand everything but my pecker. Total body history, flexibiity, Thomas test, plumb bobs, etc. He then took a 15 min. interval to input all the data in the puter. Then did a 3d video of me riding on the trainer at various speeds. Then on two 60" TV screens he played it back in slow mo with vertical and horzontal axis on my knees & hips. From that he came up with I needed a wedge in right shoe, raised seat. changed bars. Then started the trials of moving things a couple of mm each way to see how it felt. They charge 250 for it, 200 if you got your ride there. You can also revisit the fit any time in the future on that ride. For me, worth it.
BG does a good job. i use Mirrors to do the same thing, front and side to show you postion as you are riding.

i do all that measuring too, i just can't justify the cost versus benefit of the computers. it's just a fancy way of doing the same thing i do. one thing i've learned about bike fitting and fitters.... none of us do it the same way.... but we all acheive the same goal.

i just didnt spend a lot of company money on a fancy system, i bought the tools i need, made a nice professional fit studio in my shop, and let wor dof mouth spread my business, it's been doing well. by not getting those big tv's i can keep my prices down.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the slow-mo vid, he could see my right knee be pulled out of vertical alignment by the IT band at the top of the cylcle slightly, causing the left knee to do the same. As he changed the wedge you could see it come back in line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts