Bike Flags

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Etta, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Etta

Etta Guest

Does anybody here use bike flags to help get a few more inches of consideration? I don't use them but I have thought about it quite a few times in the past. Do you think motor vehicle drivers pay attention to these flags?

2. JohnJamis

JohnJamis Guest

Safety & Activism

This should probably be in the Safety & Activism section but no, I do not use any flags. I haven't seen many cyclists in my area using them.

3. Doomy

Doomy Guest

I used to have a bike flag that I put on my go-kart.

It does help people see you visually when you have a 2 yard tall fiberglass pole with a red flag waving behind you...

The only thing is don't run your hand down the fiberglass pole ;)

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am close to the Jersey shore and you see some bikes with a flag. I think it makes it easeyer for a driver to see you with all the cars around andcars parked right up to the conner
    My .02

5. Gomez

Gomez Member

It makes sense to use them especially for the younger ones, however they would look rather funny, but I rather be noticed by clueless drivers on a busy street then not.

6. michaelangelo

michaelangelo Guest

Definitely a great idea for the kids.

7. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

Not at all. They make it hard to get on the bike.

Also, I force the issue of consideration by 'taking the lane'. That way, motorists can't say, they didn't see me.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I was using my new bike trailer to go get groceries one day last spring, had the flag in place... riding on a street where I normally pretty much take my life in my hands, no one came with six feet of me.

Just can't bring myself to attach one directly to my baby..............

9. Chris516

Chris516 New Member

I applaud attaching one to the trailer but, not to the bike. Of the flag n' the stick it is attached to, the flag is the only is the only bright part. The pole it is attached to is always white and, that isn't florescent. I hope the top of the trailer is the kid of bike trailer I have seen, with a canvas top that is florescent yellow.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009