Bike fork clicking

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fleeter, Mar 3, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Hey guys,

When I'm riding my bike, I notice that my front fork seems to "click" into a straight line with my frame. Now, there's not an audible click, it just seems to tend to slip into a groove or something. Is this normal? or do I have things too tight?

This issue is kinda hard to explain... I'll try again for those that are still lost. My fork has a full range of motion, so nothing worrysome there, but as I turn from a full left to a full right, the fork will pull itself into the straight forward position once it's close to it (within 1*), and then resist leaving that position as I continue to turn it.

Maybe I'm over explaining something that every bike does and I'm just a doofus. Either way, let me know.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Could be an overtightened or bad headset. Could also be a brake or shifter cable that's either too short or wrapped around the headtube. The "click" thing would indicate the former.

3. fleeter

I think you nailed it... I'll see what loosening my headset does.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Loose nut behind the bars...

5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

It sounds like the alignment is off just a bit and the power steering pump is not doing it's job. Take it to the dealer and have it all replaced with new parts.

Seriously though. Most of your riding id in a straight line with a small amount oof turning. It sounds as if the the bearings have beat a small dimple into the race. Then as you have ridden and turned it has spread the dimple out to make a ramp into it from either side. As you use it the ramp will wear more and more until it splits a spot in the race and causes real problems. You might want to take it apart and check it to see if it is getting beat up. If nothing else when you clean it up and check it out you will be putting new grease in it and if nothing else you can say you have done some preventive maintenance.

6. fleeter

Thanks, guys! Loosened the headset bolt, and it seems a lot more fluid now.

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Double-check your headset bearings anyway; just being a bit looser is a band-aid fix. A new headset with sealed cartridge bearings isn't expensive at all, and will serve you better in the long run.