Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started thinking of this while replying to Sprocketgirl's posting about her new Fisticuff. I wanted to say "she's a beauty", but I didn't want to assume that Sprocketgirl considers the Fisticuff a "she".

I'm sure most of us like to think of our bikes as more than just inanimate objects. My question is, when referring to your bikes, do you assign/assume a male or female gender for them? My road bike is definitely female. The sexy curves and lines make that an easy one. What about a big, beefy downhill bike? Is that a male or female? Also, does it depend on the gender of the rider? Don't know if there are any "rules" for this or not, so I'm asking your opinions.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I refer to my bike and my motorcycles as she's.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I guess I do not fit the mold (and I am okay with it) but I do not think of my bike as anything more than a bike....a darned nice bike for me, but still it is a bike. I do not give names or anthropromorphise (sp) inanimate objects. I never understood the need to do this.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I guess I do not fit the mold (and I am okay with it) but I do not think of my bike as anything more than a bike....a darned nice bike for me, but still it is a bike. I do not give names or anthropromorphise (sp) inanimate objects. I never understood the need to do this.

Cheers,

Brian J.
Ditto, it's a bike, its a car, its a truck etc...
Not knockin anyone cause I can see why the tendency to do that happens, just not for me.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
my bikes get names... almost always because they remind me of someone... yep the Fisticuff is a chick. come to think of it all my bikes are ladies or girls.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
:thumbsup: :D She-it. I think I have used a fue stronger than that.

·
173 Posts
I use what a 'Tell's" me it is!!! Yeah, I'm crazy? Some are male,some generic,some female,& some names that can't be printed in public!! Monster=Roadmaster mtn. bike, male, even thou it's a ladies bike. Ling Ling= Chinese knock-off of a Honda Ruckus female. Lemon= always something small going wrong, must have been made after a drunk hoilday weekend!! Even painted it lemon yellow!!

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
somtimes i feel bad for my bike... she was made to race and while i love her and rie her a lot she never gets to do what she is here to do.. win

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I only say bad things about my bike during maintenance when something just isn't working right. Sometimes its my fault, but then again its not always. The other time I will say something really bad is when something breaks or it strands me mid ride. Then it gets a bar end full.

Guess I am kind of funny. There are times when I really enjoy working on a bike. There are times when I really love to ride, but I better not have to work on a bike when it is time to ride.

Two of my bikes are named in honor of a friend, but they are kind of gender neutral. My wife would be real worried if I named a piece of metal that I had to swing my leg over the name of some dude. I learned a long time ago not create grief for yourself. I find enough all by myself without any extra help.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ha I usually do call them she whether it be bikes or cars go figure. I don't have an actual name for my old Panasonic though I call her my old lady 1 she's a vintage bike of sorts and a Lady's frame so Old Lady fits her :D

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Call me insecure but I don't think I could refer to something I ride with a dude name. "Yeah I rode Billy for an hour and a half yesterday..". Nope, can't do it.

My bikes are Blue and Old Yeller because they are blue and yellow. I'm simple like that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Everything is Female

My car is a she. I call her Betsy! My bike is a she. I call her Jen!

My chess set is a she. I call her Liz!

Most steep hills are female...

I can't tell you what I call them!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think I haven't figured out my bike's real name, because no matter what name I try to call it, it never comes to me.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most steep hills are female...

I can't tell you what I call them!

Ha! I think we can figure it out. I had a Marine GySgt in high school ROTC tell us the nickname of a hill at Camp Pendleton (I think). It's usually the name I use for the steep ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts