Bike Law Compliance

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by bikerider, Aug 10, 2009.

1. bikerider

bikerider Guest

What kind of law compliance issues has everyone come up against?

I was recently told that I have to get lights put on my bicycle or I could get a ticket.... I am not sure where they have to go however...

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you ride on the road at night, you should really have a red blinky tail light (at least one usually mounted on the seatpost) and some kind of headlight (usually mounted on the handlebars). These are mostly to be seen by drivers. Laws very, but it just makes good sense to make yourself as visible as possible. Don't become a statistic!

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

This is what my home city's law requires:

You must have a headlight, if riding at night, which is visible from 500 feet and a red rear light or rear reflector visible from 100 feet.

4. Doomy

Doomy Guest

What if you mount your "headlight" to your helmet, is it still considered a headlight?

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

It depends on the city for that. Personally I've never gotten hassled over riding. Knock on wood.

6. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I know the state laws say you must have reflectors on your wheels and pedals and you must use a headlight when riding at night.

I highly doubt anyone around here has ever gotten a ticket for not having reflectors

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I googled "bicycle lighting laws Tennessee" and got a link to the actual "bicycle law handbook" Regarding lighting it states;

Every bicycle when used at night must be equipped with a front white headlight visible at a distance of 500 feet, and a red rear reflector visible at a distance of 50 feet.

The 500ft distance is not the distance you should be able to see the light but the distance that if you are coming from in front of you that the light can be seen by others. Like a weak flashlight in the dark, you can't see far with it but people can see it from a long ways away.

You can look here for the rules in your state. http://www.freewebs.com/92jeepwrangler/state%20bike%20laws.htm

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Check your home state Google Image Result for http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/23/cb/0b8f31b4478fabb118e796108bf5.jpeg then drop by your local police to ask how rigorous they enforce. Florida got real strict and enforce stop lights in areas with accident history. Fines and impact on your driver's liscence are the same as for a motor vehicle infraction. I've heard other states allow bikers to treat stop signs as yield signs. I like bike lanes when clearly marked [​IMG]

Towns should post levels of enforcement; cities should be more strict than a rural town.
    In a city, can one bike on a pedestrian sidewalk? [​IMG]

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

When I worked for the NSW police in Australia, I learned that you needed a bell on your bike. I don't recall all the other requirements, but it was possible to rack up $400 in fines pretty quick.

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I had a friend and his girl get pulled over on there bikes for not having reflectors. The officer ran background checks and ended up arresting her for parking tickets.

11. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I assume this was at night and they didn't have any lights either. I would think a lot of us probably don't have reflectors on our bikes.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Actually at dusk. It shocked the hell out of every one. I love law enforcement I grew up in it, but sometimes the guys get all riled up and this is the result. I guess it was valid though they were breaking the law. Now that I've thought it through I don't know what to think.

13. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I-H
    you beg the question, "how do you know?"

Now you have me worried. There must be good reason my speaking isn't as effective as a bicycle bell. Bigger is better so now all I need is a battery, amp and handlebar clamp.:DLoudspeakers & Hi-Fi Systems - Welcome to Ferguson Hill

14. Bikernaut

Bikernaut Space Case

They just passed this in Nevada

NRS 205.2741 Throwing substance at or willfully damaging bicycle or motor vehicle.

1. It is unlawful for any person:

(a) To throw any stone, rock, missile or any substance at any bicycle, or at any motorbus, truck or other motor vehicle; or

(b) Wrongfully to injure, deface or damage any bicycle, or any motorbus, truck or other motor vehicle, or any part thereof.

2. Any person who violates any of the provisions of subsection 1 is guilty of a public offense, as prescribed in NRS 193.155, proportionate to the value of the property damaged and in no event less than a misdemeanor.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That probably means it was happening a lot then.

16. rustang64

rustang64 New Member

Some guy tried to punch me out his car window going 45mph a few weeks back. Caught my shirt sleeve but didn't knock me over. Wonder if that would've been considered throwing something? Its amazing what drivers will do, I mean I can excuse not paying attention or stupidity but that kinda thing?

Also I know in my town, we are only required a Headlight for some reason, though I bike backroads without streetlights and whatnot so I have 2 headlights and a taillight... No reflectors though.

17. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

I had a cure for that in NYC where I rode for years.....

1)kryptonite lock (nyc edition)
    2)one way street

Also works on bike thieves.

There don't seem to be even helmet laws here in tejas if there are no one is buying it. Not even for motorcycles.
    They just passed the child car seat law mabye six months ago.?

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm not sure what you mean. I worked for the police there, that's how I know.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Wow. No we've had it a while. The law does read though that you only have to use one if you have access to it. In other words you don't have a car seat they don't make you use it. If you do have one and you don't use it they can fine you. Also in Texas helmet laws are based on whether or not you have the personnel injury insurance required to ride helmet less. Welcome to the land of the semi-free. You should be happy we have the choice to be idiots, that in itself is the definition of freedom.

20. Mr_T

Mr_T Guest

Thats like the first thing I remove on my bike... the reflectors, second, kickstand... no I don't take off the brakes...