Bike light

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 1974Bert, Jul 9, 2014.

1. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

Any idea on what would be a good quality or high end bike light. Looking for 2000+ lm. Will be used in all weather. From +30 c to -40 c

2. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

Needs to have a runtime of at least 1 hour before recharging

3. DaFlake

DaFlake Well-Known Member Tavern Member

4. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

eBay 370$. Wow lol. Pricey

5. TruElvis

TruElvis Two "Slow" Spoke Tavern Member

Why do you need it so bright? That is overkill isn't it unless you are using it for MTB DH racing at night in the woods. Most average car headlights only output 850 lumens or so. Beside, if the headlight is not designed correctly with the proper cutoff, it may blind oncoming driver which could be dangerous for you.

6. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

I've got a light thing lol. Don't really need that bright but looking on eBay for lights they seem to be around 2000 lm.

7. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

8. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

I second this suggestion, as I have two of these and am considering getting two more.

they work very well.
    and price-wise, you will NOT find anything similar.

9. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

Thanks for the advice. Going to check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

10. i12ride

Just scored me another one in link above.......US seller and he has 28 more for 25.89 shipped.

[​IMG]

11. biglou630

biglou630 Active Member

Wouldn't those lights be way too bright for road use at night? I mean yeah they light up the place like Yankee Stadium, but are they only for off road use?

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

12. i12ride

They are for bike use, walking, anything one would need light for. You can use it to play flashmaster rave club DJ or give people seizures or attract alien spacecraft with it on strobe setting. But you cannot burn yourself because it's LED. There is no "I didn't see you" excuses for anyone when you ride with this light. Most important thing at night is being seen. If you think bright is too bright then run it on low and/or point it down farther.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. i12ride

Yeah, good price & US seller but I don't really go for the doubles. They get kinda bulky on the handlebars and they would most likely move on any bumps using those rubber bands to secure them. Also would have runtime questions about the same size battery running doubles.

Here is a 4000 lumen single like the 3600 one I have.................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000-Lumens...ht-Headlamp-Lamp-Light-New/181353922382?rt=nc

14. DaFlake

I frequently ride at night and have a barrage of various lights. Being seen can and is usually done with nothing more that a 200 lm light. 2000 is really going to be overkill for a road and I use those lights mainly for mountain runs. My max road light is generally a 1500 lm light that is generally run on medium and that is plenty of light for me to see and be seen.

As for the EBay lights, they are cheap but you also get what you pay for. I have heard that many of them fail pretty quickly. I prefer to spend on a more quality product because the last thing I need is to be out commuting home to have a cheap Ebay light fail leaving me to walk because I can't see the road.
    I also remember that there was a review on that specific light and the lumen test only produced about 500 - 600 lm. The 2000 lumen claim on the EBay page is only marketing hype. Still not bad for the money for what you get. ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. 1974Bert

1974Bert New Member

Looking at some 500 lm torches that have a clip so you can leave the one pice attached to the bike and only remove the light. Would work better than the elastics once winter hits

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

16. Jahwarrior

Jahwarrior Member

17. Klassikbike

Klassikbike New Member

You can browse on here they have a good selection of reviewed lights.
    They also show the amount of lumen they say the lights have and what they actually have in reality.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/category/lights-shootout

My choice goes to Cateye, not the cheapest but good quality, battery life, durability and performance, will upgrade as sson as the Volt 700 comes to market.

18. DaFlake

Those reviews seem to back what I was saying. Most of the ebay stuff will claim 2000 lumens and then actually measure at 500 - 600 lumens. Basically you are getting what you are paying for.

It was refreshing to see that the Light and Motion stuff was coming in above what they advertised in most cases.

19. i12ride

We can play lab tests all day. I have had expensive lights that had the lumens they claim, way less runtime and much less useful light. If the lights hold up then it turns into replacing expensive batteries if they can even be gotten any more. What do you do when your 5 yr old $400 setup when no more batteries are available? Go buy another $400 set? Customize them to run off a different battery? Done with that. I have been using the $25-35 ebay lights for the last couple of yrs and have had none fail and don't really care whether they claim this or that lumen. Smaller batteries with 3+ hr runtime on high with LED bulbs for $30 will win every time in my world. If bright is too bright them they can be run on low. If you need more than 3 hr runtime then they can be run on low. If you don't trust the reliability, put an extra one on the bars or helment for backup. But as always, buy what you think you need and want. Different people has different needs, environmentally and monetarily. I can see where riders with their elitist attitudes and 6k+ rides wouldn't think of using any sub $500 lighting too. Go for it...............

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014