Bike maintenance questions

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Though not much of a bike mechanic, I do have Park's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Maintenance. If you want to ask me any specific questions about maintenance and want to try "doing it yourself", PM me or post to this thread and I'd be glad to look it up and type up the answer.

2. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

I recently saw that book on amazon, is it worth buying for someone who a bit of of bike matinee? How technical does it get?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Park Tools also has a very nice website with a repair help section.

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Those books seem to get outdated pretty quick in my opinion. Good for the basic stuff but if your gonna get into techinical stuff (shox and fork rebuilds, etc) they aren't that great in my mind. I am sure if someone has a question someone on here can answer it though, or at least try anyway :)

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

You really need a dose of experience before you tackle a fork/shock rebuild, anyway, so these manuals won't cover all that. Also, with the great disparity in fork design (innards), the book would be as big as the average teacher's desk to include everything.

Park's manual is as good as it gets right now.

Xela, got ur back, dude! Not too much I need to look up, either!

6. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Thats a great offer. As a beginer I am still working on the basic understanding of the terms. I just had a tune up done and they rebuilt the "head" I know what that is now. They also did some work on the "bottom". What exactly is that? Thanks.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

That would probably be the bottom bracket which is the bearing and spindle assembly that your crank arms attach to.

8. cowboy

cowboy Guest

Are there varying sizes of crank inner gears for typical bmx's? I always thought I could just take one crank, pop out another bike's and put the new crank in usually

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

There is no standard BMX bottom bracket.

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

The bottom bracket is the first thing I change before I bring a bike home.

Think I put/have put in a Red Bull or something like that Red something.