Bike Messenger Culture

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SteveM, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SteveM

SteveM New Member

Wheel cool | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/02/2009

Nice article in today's Philly Inquirer about bike messengers and their culture. It says that there are maybe 40 pro messengers in Philadelphia - but they are having a big influence.

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Amusing. Typical of any group though, shun anyone deemed not fitting all the while being sterotypes themselves.

3. grater

grater Guest

Yeah I used to be a bike messenger thats why they called me the grater

4. monty73741

monty73741 New Member

i did the messanger thing in baltimore for a while. most of them are dicks.

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

If I lived in the city, I'd totally do this if it paid well enough. Or even as a side job to a regular one.

Granted, if I lived in the city I wouldn't have both a bike and a Jeep, probably.

6. VeloBliss

VeloBliss Guest

In defense of the messengers, a lot of them have been doing this for a long time. It's always amusing when something is done because it is cool, and not because the person actually likes doing it. There are also valid concerns of city riders not knowing how to be city riders (in some cases they honestly don't even have the skill to ride a fixed gear bike safely in any situation). When serious surfers saw people trying to relate to them by spending a lot of money on trendy clothing, they had every reason to not be accepting of these posers.

That being said, wear a helmet hipsters :) (I kid with respect guys!)