Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,
I am a total bike newbie so I won't even try to act like i know anything.

I have recently found a vintage looking bike in the boiler room of the castle i live in, here in Scotland.
I have no idea how long it has been in there but I am interested in trying to restore it. The only problem is I have no idea where to start....I don't even know what type of bike it is.
I have taken a few photos so if anybody could give me any information I would be much obliged.

The photo of the handle bar - you seem to be able to twist the grip and when you do it allows you continue peddling but without engaging the back wheel ot turn. Writing on it says..."Sturmey Archer"

The photo of the back wheel - I am not sure what purpose the bar in the middle of the wheel serves but I think it is linked to the handle bar twist.Writing on it says..."Sturmey Archer"

Thanks.

Attachments

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
There should be some stamping on the bottom of the bottom bracket which is the round part at the bottom of the frame that the peddle crank goes into. Nice looking three speed you have there. Hard to tell how much it's worth though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be some stamping on the bottom of the bottom bracket which is the round part at the bottom of the frame that the peddle crank goes into. Nice looking three speed you have there. Hard to tell how much it's worth though.
On the bottom of the bike frame I found the number 705662. It seems that the last user decided to give the bike a paint job as I can see thumbprints in the paintwork. I can also see some letters but the paint is covering them up.

·
173 Posts
First and foremost, Welcome to the forum!! I'm no expert am new here too.
You have a 3 speed rear hub at the least. I've not seen one set up with that type of shift
on the right bar side like you have. The late Sheldon Brown seemed to like the Strumy Archer multi speed hubs be they 3 speed or more gears than that. Search his article on them. Is that an old Brooks springer seat/saddle? From the 1st photo looks like you have
drum brakes on the front wheel, if so that may help you date the bike.
IMO, If the bike was my size I would either clean, fix & polish it up. If it did not fit me
I would keep it & do the same, because I think it is a rare find!! Some of our members
with more knowledge will help you.
Thanks for sharing a great find!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First and foremost, Welcome to the forum!! I'm no expert am new here too.
You have a 3 speed rear hub at the least. I've not seen one set up with that type of shift
on the right bar side like you have. The late Sheldon Brown seemed to like the Strumy Archer multi speed hubs be they 3 speed or more gears than that. Search his article on them. Is that an old Brooks springer seat/saddle? From the 1st photo looks like you have
drum brakes on the front wheel, if so that may help you date the bike.
IMO, If the bike was my size I would either clean, fix & polish it up. If it did not fit me
I would keep it & do the same, because I think it is a rare find!! Some of our members
with more knowledge will help you.
Thanks for sharing a great find!
Thanks for your help. I found the article and it seems to explain it very detailed about taking it apart, cleaning then putting it back together. (should be quite an ordeal!)
It is a Brooks spinger saddle.
This may sound like a stupid question....How do I know if the bike fits me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts