Bike purchase questions

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Sweeeet, May 21, 2010.

1. Sweeeet

Sweeeet New Member

I want to pick up a Cannondale racer I saw on CL and have some question about sizing and how to do it.

I'm entirely new to cycling so maybe this is a little advanced to start with but here we go.

How do I determine if a bike is the right size?
    Is it a frame measurement that determines whether it's the right size?
    Can the tires on these support 190 lbs? They look thin.

They are asking $650. Is that a good price?
    It has 63 cm carbon fiber forks, aside from that I have given the rest of the info I know of. I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting to hear back. Are there things I should look for if I get a chance to ride it?

Should it feel right if it's the right size?

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Personally I think you would be better served with the knowledge from your local bike shop than a CL special, till you have some experience and knowledge. Fit is important and improper fit can lead to injury. I just recovered from a knee injury due to improper fit.

As far as 190, that shouldn't be a problem. Skinny tires will not be a problem. Wheels are made to take that and most frames can handle FAR more than that. Bike shop can explain why you pick a specific type tire for specific types of riding, ect and the extras you are likely to want or need to enjoy your riding. Once you have the experience, CL might lead you to a few values

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I agree. When we started we bought CL bikes. Numb feet and hands combined other physical issues we ended up re-selling. Bought the next set from LBS and could not be happier. Most LBS stores will do free adjustments and tuning for a year after as well.

4. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Can't tell if it's a good deal from the scant info you provide. You can get quite a lot of bike for 650 on ebay also.

5. nvrsetl

nvrsetl New Member

^ Fit is king. It doesn't matter if you have a $500 or $5K bike, if it doesn't fit you well then you're just wasting your time and money. Starter bikes with decent components can start around your price range. But if you're knowledgeable and resourceful you can build your own mid/high end bike with the fraction of the cost of new one.

Spend some time doing research on different bikes, frames, components, etc. Then, pick a few you like and test ride them at a dealer. Test them on various degrees hills, turns, etc (riding around in a parking lot will not be enough to test the bike). After, get a proper fitting. (this will save you a lot of time and money in the future) Not every bike is meant for every rider. And finding one that fits you best will be a keeper.

Here is a link that helped me (no affiliation with the site)

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: May 27, 2010