Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
VICG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my 1st time posting on a forum.

I rode with my brother and his group of friends last year, everyone had a road bike except for me I had a comfort bike went 21 miles on it. I live elsewhere a non biking community, so I thought it wouldn't make a difference if my bike wasn't like there's (road bike). A charity ride was coming up and the bike I had was as old as the hills so I bought myself a Scott Sportster P6 2010 hybrid to be safe.
After 2 months my dad says we are moving to my brother's community (biking community) so we can be closer and I can go riding with him and his little group. I have been thinking if I should trade in the hybrid for a road bike to blend in with the group because I'll be sticking out like a sore thumb:confused:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If anyone really cares about what bike you want and like to ride, you are in the wrong group. IF a road bike better meets your needs or is particularly better suited for the type of riding you are going to do, then by all means get a road bike. Peer pressure is something I long ago quit worrying about.

I d have been a lot happier if I had figured that out years ago, but I guess its just part of getting old.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
yeah... figure out how you like to ride, how often you are going to ride, and then make your decision based on that... don't let bike snobbery get the best of you

·
retromike3
274 Posts
think wheels or bars

I agree about the bike snobbery. If you are doing more road riding instead of buying a new bike think about the the wheels you are using first. I was told once that if you take a pound of the wheels its like taking seven pounds off the frame. In the same mode lets look at your tires. If you are running 700 by 35 tires if you drop them down to 28c and pump them up to 105 pounds it will make a would of difference.
Next thing to think about is the position of the rider. This may take a bit more work because you will have to change your brakes and shifters, BUt if you change the rider position it will make a huge difference in your speed. after 15 miles per hour the vast majority of the work you do is moving the air out of the way. This load is geometric in its progression so if you can cut down on the wind by a fraction it will make a world of difference. Switching to a dropped handle bar is a big step. I knew a fellow who added bar end extenders inside his shifters so he could have a "arrow" stance on his flat bars. The thing I did was add a set of Scott Arrow mountain bars to my old cross bike but I am sure they don't make them any more. I have been told that the flatter your back the faster you go.
Or you could go out and buy a new bike for seven grand. I am sure the industry has your welfare in mind when they want to sell you a new Madone carbon instead.

Mike Frye

·
VICG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your opinions

Thanks, before I go I want to tell you that they only do a group ride 1 a week (Sunday) that I know of, but then you have the club rides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts