Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bike race coming up next week, Saturday.
A 112 mile race.
This is a race, not a ride.
Been getting ready all summer. Have done a couple duathlons to get some racing legs under me.
This race will take all day.

I will pack 6/7 water bottles, with at least 1 with cytomax, take a gel every 25 miles. Will eat a good breakfast too. And do some carbo loading Thursday and Friday, but that doesn't work well for me, carbo loading.
BUT...
That is no where near enough food to do a 112 mile flat out race.
I will need solid food.
In my training I can stop and eat, eating energy bars and PB&J sammies. Haven't tried eating while riding.
I figure I will need at least another 700 to 1,000 MORE calories than the gels and drinks.

What will be good for eating while moving?

I am thinking those "uncrustables" frozen PB&J sammies.
Those energy bars are too low in calories at 120 each, I would need to eat 1 every 1/2 hour- a dozen(they are not that tasty), and will not have that much storage. I will be able to pick up my riders bag at a water stop along the way, I plan on snagging it about mile 40. That riders bag is my best way of getting the food and change out the empty water bottles.

Race food?
What to eat?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
jeepster93, first welcome back been a minute since your last post here! I moved your post to training and health. we have a GREAT new mod here that is really on top of the training and maybe a slighlty lesser degree nutrition. INTEGRATE will have soem very good input for you. I'm sure other experienced riders can help as well.

The last century ( certainly not a race ) they provided wraps that really did the trick. They were some kind of bean wrap with tons of stuff in them. My first thought was oh gawd that will make me sick but it was just the ticket!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I need biking advice from bikers.

No food will be provided by the race, during the race, except drink and rider bags, I can put anything I want in the rider bags and dictate where I will pick them up too.
I am actually thinking of putting a clean/dry change of clothes in one bag- hit the honey bucket and zip, zoom, fresh. I will carry some but butter with me in the on the bike bag. A couple of racers will wear 2 pair of shorts. 112 miles is a long time to be sitting on that little tiny saddle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I've never done a competitive century but I have ridden in them. Other than a lot of water, it was mostly fruit and protein bars. From what I can see of what you are already planning on taking I would just add some bananas or something. As for clothing, 112 miles is not that far and shouldn't require a change of clothes, just some of the cream "in case".

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Thanks Rola!! I guess reading all of those Cosmos for exercise advice is working!!!

Like Rola said, to a lesser degree nutrition. Not being an RD/RN, I cant give you anything other than sensible guidelines.

What I can tell you is to pick foods with a low glycemic index so it takes longer to be absorbed by your body. So that means something with a little more protein and fat that digests easily but doesn't have that quick hit like a powerbar or a gel.

If you flood your system with carbohydrates too quickly, you will use more moisture to process the intake ultimately dehydrating you faster.

Bottle an hour at the minimum, two of its hot. Find out how much you sweat so you can calculate your sodium losses. One pint of sweat lost in an hour is 600ml of sodium if I remember correctly. This is what you want to stay on top of.

Weight yourself, go ride for 2-3 hours, then weigh again post ride. This will help you figure that out.

If you've got time, I'd also start experimenting so you can try to dial it in by event day.

As far as training goes, I'd try multiple time trial efforts of 45-60 mins x 4-5 on the weekends to build that top end motor for the distance you are riding.

Off the bike tons of single leg lower body with spinal erector work as well.

Will you be on a TT bike or regular? What are you doing right now on/off the bike right now?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Al, it's next week, so not much he can do for training. You'd think that having a diabetic in my house, I'd be able to rattle off complex carbs that are portable, but I can't. Google is his friend today.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will ride my roadie. I have a nice roadie.
Fitness- I competed in 2 long coarse duathlons, one I was 1st overall adult, and 2 10K's this season.
I do upper core 2-3 times a week(I do a lot of pushups, a lot) and run 20-25 miles a week and about 150 on the bike.
Going to cut WAAAY back after next weekend. training is tiring, training in summer is taxing.
Rode 80 y-day at about 16.8 average pace solo.
I think I can maintain around 19-22 in a pace line. I plan on getting in a pace line as much as I can.

I am ready.
Well as ready a I am going to be. I think I got the distance, although I have never gone that far, and have been working on the speed.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Dude that is so awesome! Be sure to keep us up to date on how this goes! I remember your first tri you posted here. My hat is off to you!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
jeepster93 said:
I will ride my roadie. I have a nice roadie.
Fitness- I competed in 2 long coarse duathlons, one I was 1st overall adult, and 2 10K's this season.
I do upper core 2-3 times a week(I do a lot of pushups, a lot) and run 20-25 miles a week and about 150 on the bike.
Going to cut WAAAY back after next weekend. training is tiring, training in summer is taxing.
Rode 80 y-day at about 16.8 average pace solo.
I think I can maintain around 19-22 in a pace line. I plan on getting in a pace line as much as I can.

I am ready.
Well as ready a I am going to be. I think I got the distance, although I have never gone that far, and have been working on the speed.
I'd add in single leg squats, with rear foot elevated squats being a good choice. I'd also begin to shift the emphasis of your weight training to the back have of the body.

These are the muscles we lose due as they lengthen from most of the work done in the saddle occurring in the front half. I'd suggest a 2:1 ratio back to front so you can keep your pushups in. You could even do dumbbell rows out of the pushup position to kill two birds with one stone.

Although, these are pretty advanced and require rock solid neutral spine to be done safely.

I can toss out the usual suggestions of hammer Perpetuem, make your own energy bars so you exactly what's got going in your body and get that sweat rate figured out.

I've got some other info I can send you as well if you'd like, pm me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I survived.

112 miles in 5 hours and 49 minutes.
2732 feet in climb.
4th in my age group.

It took 9 bottles of water
It took 2 gu's
It took 2 PB&J sammies
It took 2 mojo bars
And I was still starved
100* at the finish line.

I am spent, and fried well done.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
jeepster93 said:
I survived.

2732 feet in climb.
4th in my age group.

It took 2 gu's
It took 2 PB&J sammies
It took 2 mojo bars
And I was still starved
100* at the finish line.

That sir is quite an undertaking. Hats off to you.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
jeepster93 said:
I survived.

2732 feet in climb.
4th in my age group.

It took 2 gu's
It took 2 PB&J sammies
It took 2 mojo bars
And I was still starved
100* at the finish line.

Awesome job, well done!

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I survived.

2732 feet in climb.
4th in my age group.

It took 2 gu's
It took 2 PB&J sammies
It took 2 mojo bars
And I was still starved
100* at the finish line.

Nice avg for 112 miles jeepster! That's pretty hot too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.
I am mostly recovered. Although I have NO desire to ride a bike???
Still hungry.

So...This felt about like a marathon race(26 mile run)on my body.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Has anyone in the San Fran Bay Area ever thought of riding to Monterey, Ca? I'm thinking of doing this with my son in October. Do you think there would be a lot of hills? Thinking 50 miles a day two overnights and get there on the third day. Sound do-able and any advice? Just putting this out there....

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
ldyvalerie said:
Has anyone in the San Fran Bay Area ever thought of riding to Monterey, Ca? I'm thinking of doing this with my son in October. Do you think there would be a lot of hills? Thinking 50 miles a day two overnights and get there on the third day. Sound do-able and any advice? Just putting this out there....
Once you hit hwy 1, it's not that bad. Windy as all heck, but not that much climbing.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You can go over Page Mill, Old La Honda, Kings Mtn Rd or 92 once you get into the Peninsula.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe my son has gone on Kings Mtn...by Half Moon Bay? Said the hills were a training ground for racers....I say eeek to that, but guess I got to suck it up. Would rather not kill myself, but think in may in the cards on this ride??

Val

1 - 20 of 28 Posts