Bike rack on front of vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by elementfiftyfour, Sep 24, 2009.

1. elementfiftyfour

elementfiftyfour New Member

Does anyone know if this is illegal by any means? I know that busses and trollys have bike racks on the front but I have never seen one for the front of a car or truck.

I have spare tire mount bike rack that I can't use on my jeep anymore since i got larger tires so i was thinking i could just modify it a little ot mount it to the front bumper.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I don't know of any laws but could see you getting grief from the police if they felt it was obstructing your vision. If you are going to modify it to fit on the front, why not just modify your rack to fit the larger tire?

3. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Actually, I've seen a Pickup with one on a front-mounted hitch point. It was towing a camper trailer (fifth-wheel style), so it had to I guess.

Seemed like a good idea to me. But on a Jeep it wouldn't work too well I'd imagine.

Can't get a roof-mounted?

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've never even seen one. But they let us carry gun racks in Texas so I'm gonna say no? The laws here make very little sense. One crazy fact about texas, we elect our governor and lieutenant governor on separate tickets. In other words our two top elected officials can be of opposing parties. Not that anybody asked I just like to make myself feel important.

5. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

This is essentially the same thing I saw on the Northway here.

[​IMG]

It seems like a good idea, but with just about any Jeep, it seems like it wouldn't do very well, because it'd go up too high.

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

IIRC here in Texas it's legal so long as it doesn't stick out X amount of distance but the variable I do not recall.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Why wouldn't they just put it in the bed?

8. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

assume they're in the same situation I described seeing before in my post before that.

If they're towing a huge camper trailer, they can either mount it on the back of that, or on the front of their truck. I'd do the front to be able to keep an eye on it.

9. elementfiftyfour

elementfiftyfour New Member

Well i haven't been able to find any laws against it yet in Louisiana so I might just give it a try and keep my fingers crossed. It is getting pretty frustrating though since i use my bike on a daily basis to get to and from work from where i park. I work on a university campus in uptown new orleans where there is NOWHERE to park so i end up having to walk like half a mile to get to my office. :(

Just to answer a couple questions:
    I don't want to mount it back on my tire because the extra weight of the new bigger tires and the 20 some lbs of the bike is probably too much for my tale gate.
    I don't have enough money to buy a roof rack system for my jeep at the time so i can't go that route either. Plus a roof rack makes it harder to get the soft top up and down.

I have been keeping my eye out on craigslist and the junk yards to find a trailer hitch for my jeep though so i could possibly get one of those bike racks that hook to the receiver.

10. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

Mounting on the front is common in the camping community. A receiver hitch on the front of the truck then a hitch-mount bike rack of your choice. I've seen posts about it from people from many states, but of course checking your local laws is good. You may be as well doing the same thing on the back. There are extenders you can use to get your bike rack to clear the spare tire.

11. snowbird

snowbird New Member

You'd probably need a receiver hitch mounted on the front of your vehicle. You'd have more use for a rear mounted receiver hitch unless you wanted to use your Jeep to launch a boat. Front mounted hitches are great for that.

But I'd say your tailgate would carry the little bit of extra weight of a bicycle and some kind of a spare-tire-mounted bike carrier.

But if you want a receiver hitch check with a welder/fabricator to have one custom made. He could probably mount a hitch and build a bike carrier for less than you'd spend on a good receiver mounted carrier.
    I just built a receiver for the front of my camper and the cost of the steel was less than $20. And I have enough left to build another hitch. It's for the bicycles.
    I carry a motorcycle on the front of my truck. I installed two receivers for the carrier. Anything carried on the front must not block the lights, driver's vision or license plate. A biclcle would be ok.

12. Cap66

Cap66 New Member

We want to attach a bike to the front of our motor home (Isuzu MPR) - can anyone show me a picture of a fitting or tell me where I could obtain one in New Zealand?

13. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

Man, down there? What does the local rv place have?

If not there then maybe a uhaul store or something like that, if you have one.

I ordered a front mount reciever hitch for my jeep from some online place. It works great and bolted right on. Cost was something like 75 bucks.

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

In my surf hippie days, I had a kit that was just two arms that bolted through the rim of the spare tire mounted on the front of my VW camper. That was perfectly legal at the time.

15. Charles R

Charles R Paved Trail Enthusiast

With a truck why not put them in the bed? So much faster and easier. But many are different.

16. salvage_bikes

salvage_bikes Banned

I tried it once on a Blazer. I didn't like it. I could see well to drive, but it was annoying to see the bars and seat in the picture, and it got COVERED with bugs!
    I later built a plywood board with fork traps to fit in the back, and eventually moved to a roof rack.

MAKE SURE the cops can see BOTH plates, or you might get pulled over! I got a ticket in some small town, from the state police, for "obstructed license plate" even though the front one was plainly visible, and he passed me to record it. The bike rack covered the rear plate, and that was why the ticket was issued. I never got a similar ticket again, but it's something to think about.

17. ohmydog2dee

ohmydog2dee New Member

Thanks for the idea about a receiver hitch on the front. I have a small truck and pull a Boler Trailer. I am a senior woman so a roof mount would be difficult. I like the idea of a front mount

18. Raymo

Raymo New Member

Couldn't one use a WARN 2" receiver bracket used for a winch? I know I have one mounted on my F-150 so I can lock the winch in the tool box and take it with me on a different vehicle. Then just buy a receiver type bike rack. What's your budget?

19. sminton

sminton Member

I got a hitch extension for my jeep and used my bike carrier on my jeep for years. I had to make it extend out past the oversize tire. Cost about $20 at Tractor Supply or a trailer hitch place.

20. darrylthebookie

darrylthebookie New Member

I used to have one. It mounted right on the front bumper. I took the seat off my bike so it wouldn't block my view, stuck a carrot in the tube so I wouldn't get water in my bottom bracket. It was great, I want another one. that way I can get in and out of my rear truck cab and not have to worry about dropping my back rack.