Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it considered a 50 mi. bike ride if I'm just making the rounds on a circular track at the local park? I know it's not the same workout as if I'd be on the road or on a trail.

Easy flat riding, not much work, I know. :rolleyes:

·
1,200 Posts
in my openion 50miles is 50miles, though esp if your training or trying to get alot of exercise out of it there is such thing as useless miles

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I agree. While there's something to be said for the safety net of a small circuit, you're still putting in the effort. But it's not the length that's important. It's the frequency. Of intervals, of course.
;)

·
889 Posts
I don't count distance usually. My rides are limited to under 2 hours (family and life commitments) so I go for time. Some days I take it easy, others, I hammer myself into submittion.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
For me, a 50 mile ride, regardless of where you do it, is a good bike ride. Obviously, the faster you can go, and maintain the speed during the bike ride, the better the cardio workout, but it's still 50 miles.

·
1,393 Posts
I have the TDF training bike for indoor work in the winter - and although it is top of the line one of the best things about outside on a trail is the destination - and a finish - not the same going in a circle repetitively - unless it is a palindrome - that would be cool !

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I have the TDF training bike for indoor work in the winter - and although it is top of the line one of the best things about outside on a trail is the destination - and a finish - not the same going in a circle repetitively - unless it is a palindrome - that would be cool !
You mean velodrome, right? :D Although sometime's a Toyota's a Toyota.

·
73 Posts
I say good on you for riding 50 miles/80km :D
You may not have climbed or descended much but hey, you are out there riding and for that I tip my hat to you.

So long as you enjoy your riding, then 50 miles is whatever you can make of it :thumbsup:

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I say good on you for riding 50 miles/80km :D
You may not have climbed or descended much but hey, you are out there riding and for that I tip my hat to you.

So long as you enjoy your riding, then 50 miles is whatever you can make of it :thumbsup:

Very true - and, however you slice it, it's healthier than sitting on the sofa munching on chips! :)

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Industry_Hack said:
Not exactly. 50 miles with Utah or Colorado elevation changes is not the same as 50 miles on a flat circuit. But in his case, it's still 50 miles.

I would rather ride 50 miles than climb a couple thousand feet.
Uhh, well, he's asking only about distance, not altitude or riding over tree roots. Lol
You are most correct that climbing a few thousand feet is harder.
Funny you bring it up.
A few years back, there was a debate about harder in Mts. or flats.
Mts= climbs but also declines.
Flats= constant peddling.

I always said Mts were harder. My invitations to the flat landers to ride with me in WV were not accepted.
But really, any time spent on a bike is good (until you ride with an injury).
Right?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
You need to ride a bike to go 50 miles. My bikes are just hanging in the garage and wont move an inch without my effort.

Any 50 is a good 50.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
a mile is a mile is a mile is a mile. Even if it is .62 kilometers. :D

a mile by any other name would still be .62 kilometers? too poetic?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,297 Posts
I don't know about flattened cubits, Knee, but 50mi =
181,232.43 Roman Cubits
153,710.03 Royal Egyptian Cubits
OR
176,000 English Cubits
:D

50 miles is 50 miles. There will always be harder miles and easier, but 50 is still 50 if you're doing it under your own power!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts