Bike shop must have tools

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by photosbymark, Mar 25, 2011.

1. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well my new storage building, workshop, out building is having the concrete slab poured now. What the wife doesn't know (well she knows but hasn't been told nor said up front in that it might encourage the purchase of more bikes) is that it will have a bike workstation in one corner. The one work stand I bought used I found out quickly why the guy got rid of it. It had a place where the bike sat on the bottom bracket and clamped on the down tube. Every time I put one of my bikes in there, the kick stand and water bottle cages had to come off. I ended up using the bike rack on the back of the suv for many things or just went old school and turned the bike over on its seat and handlebars. A good seat clamp workstand is going to be the first thing I get.

Next is likely to be a wheel truing stand. I have all the basic hand tools and a smaller park tool set that has most of the bike stuff I need. The chain whip, chain tool ect as well as a pedal wrench, some cone wrenches ect. It's the set that comes in a plastic case that is about 12x12 inches. I also have an oxy acy torch for cutting an brazing. I also have an air compressor and at some point I want a media blaster cabinet.

I have two goals in mind. First I have a couple of designs in mind for bikes I want to build, and 2) As old as I am vintage bikes are the bikes I had as a kid. I want to restore some older bikes and maybe make a few bucks on some, but most would be more likely to be given away to people in need.

Ok other than a brain in my head that has better sense, what else do I need or will want. Some thoughts, 1 a tubing an pipe bender, 2. something to mount my park tool book on. 3. a solid workbench with a vise and grinder

What else am I missing

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Wireless internet and a 24" widescreen.

3. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well fridge is an idea, but would I get more people to stop by with a kegerator instead??? Granted it wouldn't keep the stuff for something to eat. Think the wife wants some room for a freezer so there is ice cream. As far as wireless internet, I could probably move the MIFI and get it. TV would be more of a problem grin.

I'm still the small guy on the block. The neighbor down the street build hot rods in his and has virtually an entire machine shop in his, plus an apartment. His mother lived there at one time till she passed away. Now that has everything.

5. Industry_Hack

A friend of mine liked to tinker with hot rods, and convinced his wife to buy a house that had been owned by a diesel mechanic. You could park two tractor trailers, with trailers attached, side by side in his workshop.

6. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well shop walls went up today. Its like most buildings seems bigger now than I imagined. Got a spot picked out for the weights and trainer already as well. I am going to try to use this to really lighten my bike engine. Roof goes up tomorrow and maybe it gets finished. Yeah. Then its power and I coat the floor before move in.

The bike work stand was bought this past weekend. I decided on the Park PCS 10 and I think it will be heavy enough to take the Sunray and any old bike I might want to put on it, and still fold if I need to take it somewhere for some reason. So far I'm pleased with the decision. Got a TV and a DVD player picked out and the wireless internet is ready. Still need a fridge and several projects already await. Looks like its going to be a big plus

8. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

And by 24" he clearly meant 42"...

9. Industry_Hack

Nope. 24" for your monitor is plenty big. I've got a 52" flat screen I rarely watch, but would be plenty happy writing at a single 24" widescreen monitor. And it's perfect for viewing the Park site while working.

10. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well my photography computer is a 24 inch wide screen, but that one ain't going in the shop. Working on trading a microwave for a frig. The other microwave going in the shop

11. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

maybe a coffee pot too