Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the best bike speedometer/gps you can get for a hybrid bike and how much would it cost? Manufacturers that make good speedometers??
Thanks. I want a speedometer/gps that can display MPH, not KPH, also what's the difference between a gps and a speedometer our they the same thing? I'd like one that can do it all, distance, average speed, top speed, etc.. Can a gps display speed in mph or do you just need a ordinary speedometer for that and not a gps?

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
What's the best bike speedometer/gps you can get for a hybrid bike and how much would it cost? Manufacturers that make good speedometers??
Thanks. I want a speedometer/gps that can display MPH, not KPH, also what's the difference between a gps and a speedometer our they the same thing? I'd like one that can do it all, distance, average speed, top speed, etc.. Can a gps display speed in mph or do you just need a ordinary speedometer for that and not a gps?
GPS does it all, speed accent,decent,time, temp, maps on some high end units.

Look here for Garmin info

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Nope!!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm about to jump on a Garmin Edge 200. I understand you can connect to home computer post ride to download data. Is it Mac compatible? Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks for answering. :)

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,373 Posts
GPS uses satellites to track your precise location on the surface of the Earth. In addition to speed and mileage, GPS devices also usually capture direction of travel, altitude and previous track(s), among other data. The important part is GPS requires satellites.

A bike computer uses a magnet and sensor, most commonly mounted on the front wheel and fork, to determine speed and distance traveled. They generally do not record the track you've taken, only your speed and total miles covered. A bike computer is generally far simpler than GPS, but offers much less data than GPS does. You also have to tell the bike computer your bike's tire size to get accurate data.

In terms of Metric vs. Imperial, every example of either device I've seen can be switched between the two. I can speak only to devices made for use in the United States that I have worked with - far from all that exist. I'd say to check the specs before you buy - should be marked there.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Any other brands to consider or does Garmin have a lock on the price/quality?

When I shopped Amazon for GPS from high to low I noticed Garmin has a lot of $5000 units, so I guess they make some damn good GPS. Of course I searched low to high first but after ten pages of chargers, I changed my approach. But after ten pages of very expensive units, I had to narrow my search to drill down in. I don't know if I needed a bicycle specific unit, I plan to carry it in my pocket most of the time, but being able to attach to handlebars is a nice feature I will use occasionally.

Junior, sorry if I've hijacked your thread. Please read rola and newleaf's replies and jump back in with any more questions you might have. I opted for a Garmin Edge 200 because it's only $149 more than I should spend. Free shipping!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If I didn't have a Blackberry with Google Maps, I'd want a GPS that displays a map. I don't think the Edge 200 does that. Still sounds much better than the old wired computers that measured the number of wheel rotations. Those always broke when I tried to use them.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the Garmin Edge 800 with the maps and 99% of the time I don't use that feature. I much prefer to see a screen full of statistics.

·
Two skinny J's
21,522 Posts
Any other brands to consider or does Garmin have a lock on the price/quality?

When I shopped Amazon for GPS from high to low I noticed Garmin has a lot of $5000 units, so I guess they make some damn good GPS. Of course I searched low to high first but after ten pages of chargers, I changed my approach. But after ten pages of very expensive units, I had to narrow my search to drill down in. I don't know if I needed a bicycle specific unit, I plan to carry it in my pocket most of the time, but being able to attach to handlebars is a nice feature I will use occasionally.

Junior, sorry if I've hijacked your thread. Please read rola and newleaf's replies and jump back in with any more questions you might have. I opted for a Garmin Edge 200 because it's only $149 more than I should spend. Free shipping!
We bought a Garmin for our boat and they are NOT cheap and I bought at a little above entry level. I have one in my bucket truck at work, on my bike, and in the boat. I've been very pleased with Garmin and their tech support when I have had to use it. My wife has a TomTom and that piece of junk would tell you drive into the Atlantic, keep going and turn left...

·
130 Posts
Smart phone

I have android and use the Strava app gives me a map of my ride,fastest speed average speed,time moving time standing idle time.
Mapmy Ride does the same all free
Paul

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,373 Posts
Poolie said:
I have the Garmin Edge 800 with the maps and 99% of the time I don't use that feature. I much prefer to see a screen full of statistics.
I've got an older model Garmin with the map function. It mounts to my bars using a mount intended for a motorcycle. Though I also find myself using the statistics screen more often than not, I REALLY love the map screen when it comes to exploring new places. I can create waypoints on my laptop and send them to the device for hassle-free navigation. It's also great to have my track on-screen so that no matter where I end up, I can at least turn around and follow my own track back to the starting point.

I also use my smartphone for tracking, but find the Garmin to be far more reliable. I have yet to meet a smartphone with sufficient battery life to be used on the bars with the screen active, in place of a GPS. Even with the screen off, my phone's battery ends up critically low at the 3.5-4hr mark, just tracking. My Garmin takes AA batts and goes several rides between changes. Get some rechargeables and you don't even have to pour money down the drain with single-use batts.

Smartphones are great, but you gain a lot using an actual GPS, imho.

·
1,393 Posts
IPhone

If you have an Iphone Garmin has a 99cent app - it also allows you to connect to Garmin Connect to record your rides - however for cadence & speed I would spend a $100 on a wireless computer for your bike - seems more accurate ! You can also spend the same amount on accessories for your Iphone that will do the same thing

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
You can get a simple wireless cycle computer for around $20 at Wall mart, it will have speed, ride distance, OOD, avg spd, ride time, and a fue outher goodies

·
130 Posts
My smartphone battery runs normal I turned on Strava app .shut off display stick it in my pocket and ride . It saves the info so when Iam done riding it logs it.
No need to mount it on handle bars or even be concerned about how fast Iam going or how far. Iam out to enjoy my ride. I would think having it mounted to watch it is the same as driving with cell phone just a dangerous distraction.The app is free it doesnt cost a thing and you have phone for emergencies too boot too

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
OP:

I like Cateye and Signma bike computers. Mine are wireless, my wife's is wired.

What features are you looking for?

GPS is great, especially for data analysis; I use a Garmin Forerunner 405. I can use a mount for my handlebars as well as a speed/cadence sensor. I do not use mapping, I like to stop and ask people for directions as you'll often learn something about where you're lost.

Eventually I'd like to get an Edge 800 but for now I just get lost and try to figure it out from there. . .Nothing like making penance when you are shattered, out of water, cramping and lost with no cell phone service for a ride. DAMHIK!

·
1,393 Posts
I also have the sigma - I use the Garmin IPhone app to record a ride and then use the info from the speedo on the bike to actually correct the info that the Garmin collects

1 - 20 of 30 Posts