Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have probably seen this vid, but it is the first for me. I don't do a lot of in town riding where my bike is out of sight, and years ago I purchased a Kevlar lock for it. (Kevlar wrap over cable)

But the vid. got me to thinking...what is the most secure way to lock up your ride?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zb8YXrmIA[/ame]

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have watched several "staged" bike thief vids; I remember one in NYC where a couple police cars drove by the guy sawing through the locks & didn't say a word.

One did stop & tell him to move out of the road - he was standing off of the curb while cutting through the lock.

I've seen some locked up with the u-lock, they do look fairly secure, kind of reminds me of "the club".

Guess you could use multiple u-locks to go through the frame & wheels for a more secure set up.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the video, the "thief" even uses a portable grinder to saw through a lock. I guess if a thief wanted a bike or the parts bad enough he would simply hacksaw right through the frame to get it loose.

Hopefully someone would take notice & do something about it. I wonder if a proximity alarm would be a good idea?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The experiment wasn't really walid, a thief are always on the risk of being seen by the owner so he has to act fast. So the most effective lock is the one that it takes time to cut up. A thief don't want to waste time. A boltcutter can cut a chain in seconds, a wire on the other hand can't be cut by a boltcutter, it will flatten it and then the thief will have to cut each strand, one by one with a sidecutter. But if you lock the wire with a padlock the thief will cut that with the botcutter just as easy as the chain. The cryptonite and similar locks defeat the boltcutter, you have to use an anglegrinder.
I lock my bike with a kryptonite lock securing the backwheel to the frame, then I wound a wire through the frontwheels and seat and around some solid object, locking it with a specialized wirelock

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The experiment wasn't really walid, a thief are always on the risk of being seen by the owner so he has to act fast. So the most effective lock is the one that it takes time to cut up. A thief don't want to waste time. A boltcutter can cut a chain in seconds, a wire on the other hand can't be cut by a boltcutter, it will flatten it and then the thief will have to cut each strand, one by one with a sidecutter. But if you lock the wire with a padlock the thief will cut that with the botcutter just as easy as the chain. The cryptonite and similar locks defeat the boltcutter, you have to use an anglegrinder.
I lock my bike with a kryptonite lock securing the backwheel to the frame, then I wound a wire through the frontwheels and seat and around some solid object, locking it with a specialized wirelock

Good points - I think what he was pointing out in the vid. is that no one walking around in the area seems to care or question him. Kinda like when a car alarm goes off in the parking lot, most people ignore it, although I suppose if you saw some guy trying to jimmy the door open that would raise eyebrows a bit.

I like this guy's vids.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWfiaz44nA&feature=related[/ame]

He looks at several bikes & comments on the locking systems used. Bottom line, it seems to be best to use a combination of locks so a potential thief would have to spend a lot of time on it.

Funny how folks always thought chain was so good, but you can easily snap a chain link with a large screwdriver or crow bar.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's crazy here with the university. The college kids lock there bikes up downtown with a u lock around the rear triangle through the wheel. They leave them for days. See a lot of bikes with the seat post and front wheel gone but not the frame! My bikes are do important to me I could never do that. But I use a kryptonite u lick around the rear triangle through the wheel and wrap a kryptonite cable all the way around through the front wheel and secure it to the u lock. I try not to lock it up where I can't see it or if I'm gonna be a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts