Bike tires too wide?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by cbman, Jan 11, 2010.

1. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

So these Continental Diesel tires are just right for the kind of trails I ride, however I'm wondering if they're too wide for my bike. I ride a Trek 4300(2009). My normal tires are 26x1.75", these tires are 26x2.5". Is this too radical of a size difference? And just one other question :eek: do I HAVE to run wider tubes or are 1.5-1.75 fine?

Continental Bicycle -Diesel

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Measure your fork and stays. And yes, you'll need new tubes.

3. Sickmont

Sickmont Member

I run 27x2.25s on my 09' Trek 4300 disc and i have a mile of clearance left over with them. And yeah, like Mr. hack says, you need new tubes.

4. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

Cool dudes, thanks for the info!

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

1.75" tubes are too small, but don't worry about finding tubes that are rated for 2.5" tires. 2.2-2.35" are fine. Most 2.5" tubes are made for downhill and are heavy and expensive.

6. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

So instead of the Diesels I went with Bontrager XR4's. They were what I was looking for, and defiantly fit my bike. The awesome owner of my LBS showed me the actual with of the diesels and it turns out you only have a 1/4 inch of clearance, which is not enough for pedaling. Plus, the XR4's are much lighter, the diesels would have added 4 pounds!!! So it worked out for the best that I went up there. I posted some old, new tire comparison photos.

Attached Files: