1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,375 Posts
Interesting article! I have to wonder how long it's been since the 'time is money' quoter spun some cranks or even straddled a bike. I don't know about others, but for me, sitting behind a steering wheel in heavy traffic is not happy-making or healthy. It's fair to say that stress is money, too, and can frequently be a lot more, even if payment is deferred for a decade or two. Heart disease, hypertension, high bp, on and on...long live pedal power and all who understand! May the word spread B-)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
"Drive to work? Are you crazy? Time is money."

For what ever reason, traffic in DC on National Bike to Work Day was very congested. It's like that lots of time. I passed a hundred cars yesterday morning.

"Money is money." Don't forget to factor in vehicle cost, fuel cost, maintenance cost, parking cost, insurance cost, etc.

"Time is money" Riding to work combines exercise with commuting. Not having to drive to a gym and work out there saves time and money. And you aren't in an enclosed space that reeks of sweaty office workers. That's the real pay off.

·
Registered
870 Posts
"Stop TEXTING, EATING, PUTTING MAKE-UP (ON), TALKING ON THE PHONE while driving," Francisco Marcelo Gadelha said.
Marcelo forgot a couple: stop MESSING WITH A CIGARETTE or OTHER TOBACCO PRODUCT and the RADIO/MUSIC/MP3 PLAYER, ETC.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Time is money? OK. I wonder if the guy who stated that would be interested to know how much money can be saved by riding to work?

I actually figured up the total per mile cost of operating my motor vehicle, based on driving an average of 12,000 miles a year and the per mile cost of riding my bike, based on riding an average of 1,500 miles a year and came up with a savings of $0.34 a mile when I ride bike. On other words I make or save $0.34 a mile when I commute or use my bike for errands vs. drive my motor vehicle.

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My wife averages 30k miles per year with no (feasible) way to commute by bike....I could buy me a nice bike with that :D

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
My last job before retirement was too far to travel by bike. I used the interstate to and from work. If I took back roads and went to work by bike, it would have been over two hours each way. As much as I love cycling, it would have been too impractical.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My last job before retirement was too far to travel by bike. I used the interstate to and from work. If I took back roads and went to work by bike, it would have been over two hours each way. As much as I love cycling, it would have been too impractical.
How many miles was it if you rode to or from work?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I had a similar situation a few years back, all I did was drive my truck to a reasonable distance out and ride in from there. I would park at a nearby store, grocery or a mall, after doing this for several weeks I kept increasing distance. The best part was not having to ride the same route everyday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts