Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is kind of a newbie question, but I am having no luck with the search function so here it goes. After riding how many miles on a new bike should I get the first tune-up, and then how often should I get a tune-up thereafter? The bike shop I bought the bikes at will give me free tune-ups for a year,(which I think is pretty cool) I've got 74 miles on the 7.1FX and after I put in some more miles tomorrow the 2.3 will have about 90 miles on it, I'm already getting mystery shifts on the 7.1 and so far the 2.3 rides like a dream,(both of my bikes are TREK's). So any advice would be welcome, thanxs in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
OK. I've got 78 miles on it now and it mystery shifts on me
Also, new cables stretch somewhat. That's why the first tune-up usually comes pretty early on. Take it in, let 'em tweak it, then you should be good to go for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will get mystery shifts as the cables stretch, it is a quick & easy adjustment. If nothing is wrong with the derailleur of course. I would take it back to the LBS until the free tune-ups run out then go to YouTube.

I went on YouTube to see how to install/adjust derailleurs, etc., it is really easy. I put on a new derailleur on the old mountain bike, did the adjustments & it shifts perfectly. You will be surprised how easy bike maintenance, adjustment & build-ups can be with the proper tools.

Recommendation - don't by the bike tools kits, you can buy the tools cheaper a piece of the time. Unless you run into a closeout deal on Nashbar/Performance. Don't think all of your tools that you use on your car/motorcycle will work, a cone wrench is thinner than a standard SAE/Metric wrench or a specialized bottom bracket tool, etc. (Learned that the hard way)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
once again thanks for the advice, especially about the tools. I have already begun to collect them one at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts