Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of bikes I always wanted to ride, but never got a chance.

Number one on my list is an old original or a high wheeler. Yeah I know that many of the high wheelers made for a lot of riders crashing, but I think it would be fun to see what it was like to ride one of those first bikes.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Are you referring to a penny farthing? I don't think you're missing anything. But if you check my Interbike photos, I've seen a couple of cool (and outrageous) examples.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Hack something like the bike in the image called Size Matters. Taking that on the road would be totally nuts. Yet I think it would be fun to take something like that on a bike trail to see what it must have been like to be one of the very early cyclist.

They rebuilt the Wright Flyer a while back, and only then did they full appreciate just how much Wilbur and Orville accomplished. First of all no one knew how to build an airplane. That airplane would just barely get off the ground. Yet surprisingly the Wrights understood far more than many might have expected. Not only did they really not understand what it took to build an airplane, neither of them knew how to fly.

When they rebuilt the airplane, they got a guy that knew a little bit about airplanes to help test fly it. Though up in years to a point, they got Scott Crossfield (yes the same guy that did much of the test flying in the X15) to fly it. With an aeronautical engineering background, and more experience in more different airplanes than just about anyone alive, and even he wrecked the airplane once.

Id love to ride bikes of every decade of cycling. Some is going to be tough, but I think it would be a blast.

·
12,350 Posts
Yeah Hack something like the bike in the image called Size Matters. Taking that on the road would be totally nuts. Yet I think it would be fun to take something like that on a bike trail to see what it must have been like to be one of the very early cyclist.
More than anything else, I enjoy Interbike for bikes like that. They were telling me about the disc brake on the rear wheel which was absolutely useless - it would just lock up and skid, which added to the drama. And anyone foolish enough to ride it would want to go as slow as possible. Once that wheel got some momentum, there's no way to stop it without broken bones and/or property damage.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A brake on that rear wheel would do nothing but add control problems. I don't know about as slow as possible because too slow could make you unstable. If you rode it on the street, well I would pay the ticket before I put a foot down at a stop sign. It would have to be a practically deserted road to even try it. Taking that bike downhill though, well I have to admit in my younger years I have done things far more dangerous, but I am a little smarter than that now.

·
12,350 Posts
I would like to try a tadpole on a slightly downhill twisty road, and I'd like a velomobile. To be honest, I will probably build both (actually one) some day.

·
Just Plain Bitter!
72 Posts

Pedersen.
We got to ride one of these on the L***** ride in downtown L.A.. Soemone is actually manufacturing them again, they bought the rights to the design. The guys in L.A. are the sole importers. It was actually a fun bike to ride, the seat is like a hammok for your jewels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually the Dursley Pedersen never went out of production, they just weren't imported here.
I'd second Sproketgirl's choice, only I'd choose this one
as it actually exists and is ridable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a Giant Cadex CFM3 mountain bike. I'm looking for the rear derailer bracket that attaches to the rear with two bolts. I broke mine. can you help me? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, I have a Giant Cadex CFM3 mountain bike. I'm looking for the rear derailer bracket that attaches to the rear with two bolts. I broke mine. can you help me? Thanks, Jim
What made this thread, in any way, seem like the place to post that?

I'm feeling generous though, so:
DerailleurHanger

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Schwinn Black Phantom unrestored unmolested that is one of my dream rides :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts