bike you loved as a kid???????????

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by RUSHTHEMALL, May 25, 2010.

1. RUSHTHEMALL

RUSHTHEMALL ALWAYS IN A RUSH

when i was about 8. my moms and my sis bought me a new brand new huffy,it was all flat black with a oranbe gas tank ,make believe of course.i searched high and low for images,but i could not find it.i loved that bike:),as i got older about 12,i feel in love with the the raliegh bike.but never ever got the chance to get one:(.anyways by the age of 15.everyone had a 10 speed,my brotherinlaw gave me a fuji 12 speed,so i was happy with that for a little while,then i discovered cars and forgot about bikes totally,now am an old man in my forties 5/8 190lbs not really over weight but slightly fit.i re-discovered bikes in 2007 when i saw this really nice rush 400 so i dove in and got it.because in my mind it was like getting that bike that has eluded me in the past and this is it.
    [​IMG]
    what bike did you love as a kid?????????????????????

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I tried to find it, but I couldn't. I remember Renegade being written on it everywhere. Maybe a Huffy? I don't know. I loved that bike.

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Always wanted a Shwinn. My favorite was a fat tired bike made by who knows, but they got it a Montgomery Ward. Came with typical comfort seat and bars, but had what I called "kick gears" If you kicked back slightly on the pedals it would shift up or down as memory serves between two. I added a banana seat, sissy bar, and those high handle bars. Used moms cloths pins to hold playing cards in the spokes to make a cool noise.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Love? Meh. But I really liked my Scrambler, Mongoose, and both Redlines. I was a kid during the birth of BMX in SoCal.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did you compete as a kid?

6. Industry_Hack

Only as a 34-35 year old kid.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I never really had a name brand bike growing up until I got a Schwinn Mountain Bike when I was like 15.

Before then they were all fixed geared generic bikes.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Single-speed Schwinn Stingray, got it at about age 8. Ape-hangers, banana seat, "racing slick" rear tire with the bobbed fender. That was my favorite childhood bike -- second only to the 10-speed Schwinn I got at age 15, which turned me on to cycling.

As it was another lifetime ago, I can call it my old favorite; my all-time #1 is the Dakar XLT I'm on now... nothing else has EVER performed like it!

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Derby around 1955 :D first new bike I rember :rolleyes:

10. Bustedlink

Bustedlink New Member

The only bike I had as a kid was one I had inherited from my brother after he moved away from home, a 1960 something Hercules 3 speed. It was the only bike I had access to so I had to love it.

11. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

[​IMG]

My first mountain bike.... The Giant ATX 970. (circa 1995) Before that, it was all about BMX. A GT, a Mongoose, and then a Redline Proline. It was candy green over chrome and decked out in anodized purple (everything cool in the early 90's was anodized purple, right?) I still have the scars from the original bear-trap pedals (I replaced them with a purple set) on my leg...it looks like a dog bite!

12. Industry_Hack

I could not find a photo of a 1987 Nishiki Ariel, my first MTB.

13. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Is this it, Hack?

Attached Files:

14. Industry_Hack

Yeah, that looks like it.

15. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

lil black and red huffy... took off the old foam "this is to protect your nuts" bar cover, slapped an STP sticker on it, and stood on the pedals whenever I could to lay down a fat black streak in front of everybody's driveway...

16. Industry_Hack

We must be the same age.

17. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

... :D

18. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Ooh, my first was a Huffy. Three speed hub, coaster brakes. Won it at some kid's christmas show. Got to walk it home with a crowd of kids following me.

19. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

When I was a kid, bikes were pretty much anonymous. Schwinns were the schwagg at that time, but I never got one. Don't really care.

20. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

26" schwinn, big bike with monster monkey hanger handle bars, road that bike everywhere, circa 1960....was candy apple red:cool: