Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Quick question, has any of you heard of bikes direct.com ? they seem to have a fair selection of bikes cheap. any opinions? thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi all. Quick question, has any of you heard of bikes direct.com ? they seem to have a fair selection of bikes cheap. any opinions? thanks
Oh yes, I think everyone has heard of BikesDirect.

Owned by Mike.

Spammed on bike forums by BD employees.

Many BD bikes are year-old Fujis with different stickers. (The Motobecane tri bike, for instance, is a Fuji Aloha)

Avoid the Windsor Wellington like the plague. (Welds that don't go all the way around the tube, welding wire sticking out of welds, etc.)

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I've owned two. Good value if you don't mind a bit of assembly work. If you have a lot of issues with fit, and don't know how to work on bikes, you're better off with your LBS.

Not going to get into the spam argument, as I have sold Mike a lot of advertising space, and also contacted him on behalf of customers to get issues resolved. He's just a regular guy with a good business model and marketing tactics that may be questionable. It's been so long, I don't remember the exact issue with the forum spamming. But I do know he has been known to call customers personally, and replace whole bikes over somewhat trivial issues. He sells a jillion bikes a year, and I think the complaint ratio is very small.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've owned two. Good value if you don't mind a bit of assembly work. If you have a lot of issues with fit, and don't know how to work on bikes, you're better off with your LBS.

Not going to get into the spam argument, as I have sold Mike a lot of advertising space, and also contacted him on behalf of customers to get issues resolved. He's just a regular guy with a good business model and marketing tactics that may be questionable. It's been so long, I don't remember the exact issue with the forum spamming. But I do know he has been known to call customers personally, and replace whole bikes over somewhat trivial issues. He sells a jillion bikes a year, and I think the complaint ratio is very small.
I've had good dealings with Mike as well. His employees, on the other hand.....

He helped me out with a customer several months ago, and we've talked on the phone a few times. His more expensive bikes are fine. His cheap ones are.....cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts