Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been biking several months 5 days a week, steadily increasing my mileage and hours in the saddle , some days 15 miles others 25 to 30,as well as incorporating hills, I eat basically a weight watchers diet, but have allowed extra splurges due to all the calories burned, supposedly, in my workouts, like red wine at night, I'm toning up, but the scale hasn't moved, but up a few lbs. Help! This plateau has been going on for at least 2 months, when is the shift in weight gonna happen?

Discouraged, but still riding : (

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Remember. You are mostly burning fat and gaining muscle.
Muscle weighs more than fat. So as you say, you are toning up but not losing.
That's because you are losing fat. But at the same time, you are getting small bumps in muscle growth & putting muscle weight back on.

Don't worry.
Muscle burns fat too.
Eventually, you'll see the pounds melt away.

Try to remember:
As your body gets adjusted to the workouts...over time, it will actually slow the metabolism down.
So, your splurges will need to cut back when this happens. Probably several months away.

Well, that's what I understand at this point in my life.
Someone else my have new info. that we can both learn from.
Keep riding. You'll see big changes before winter. I'd bet $$ on it.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
did you take measurements? the same thing happened with my wife but she kept losing inches, and that kept her motivated. I kept telling her how much better she looked. but having data realy helped. she's down 12 pounds over the last 3 months so it is slow. keep riding, and take a few measurements!!!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
How fast are you riding? If you're riding at a nice relaxing pace, you're not going to see much weight loss. We preach intervals for everything. Want to go faster? Intervals. Want to lose weight? Intervals. Want to climb hills better? Intervals.

Over the course of your 1-2 hour rides, give it a hard effort for 2-3 minutes out of each ten. Don't forget a warmup and cool down at each end of the ride as well. What you want to do is spend parts of your ride really pushing yourself. The actual interval will depend on your age and overall fitness, but you can use this as a starting point.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,170 Posts
+1 for measurements! I have only lost a couple of pounds after more than 1300mi in the saddle this season, but I've lost a number of inches off my waist, and otherwise look like I've lost weight according to friends. Actual weight loss has just been offset by muscle growth.

Hang in there! WW worked wonders for my wife, but those plateaus were nasty. Exercise works and must be part of the equation, but you'll still plateau and it'll be frustrating. Best of luck, and I sincerely hope you reach the edge of this particular plateau and start dropping the pounds again. Good for you for sticking with it!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
It took me a while, but I lost 30 pounds by changing my eating habits and doing intervals on my rides. I'm was 63 yo, 5'7" and weighed 180 pounds when I started riding 2 1/2 years ago. My pants size went from a very tight 36" to a very loose fitting 34" waist. As long as you are consistent with your good eating habits and your riding workouts, you will see a change. Just don't get discouraged and continue what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I also took up the bike to lose weight and kick the BP meds. By completely changing my dietary habits and exercising I have been able to drop 16 pounds. The BP meds sit unused in my cabinet.

At times I still get discouraged as I have not reached my goal weight. Intensity training helps burn fat as your body ramps up and takes longer to cool down thus burning more over time. The guys here all know a trick or two. Integrate will probably chime in as well.

What has worked for me most is to get up each day and ride or do off bike exercise. Getting in the habit of being active has done the most.

One more thing, check out Green coffee bean extract.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ok, Omni, I'll bite! What is green coffee bean extract and what it the benefit of it? I never heard of such so am very curious about it.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
It is extract of young coffee beans before roasting. They have chlorgenic acid which helps with burning fat. It also helps your body with sugar absorption or lack there of.

Use your google fu for case studies.

I have been on it for a month or so and have noticed zero side effects.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I have been biking several months 5 days a week, steadily increasing my mileage and hours in the saddle , some days 15 miles others 25 to 30,as well as incorporating hills, I eat basically a weight watchers diet, but have allowed extra splurges due to all the calories burned, supposedly, in my workouts, like red wine at night, I'm toning up, but the scale hasn't moved, but up a few lbs. Help! This plateau has been going on for at least 2 months, when is the shift in weight gonna happen?

Discouraged, but still riding : (
I'd like to chime in on this one if I may, I get this quite a bit at our facility. Let me ask you a few questions, and I may be able to give you some info as to why the scale is doing what it is.

1) How much short burst high intensity are you putting into your week?
2) What is the frequency of strength training in your week?
3) If I may, can you ballpark the amount of calories in, and the amount out?

One of the tricky parts of a restricted diet (in general mind you) while increasing activity levels, is that your body may not be getting properly fueled. Think of trying to drive your car 100 miles on 50 miles worth of gas.

The other thing is that if there aren't enough calories in the tank, you will actually lose muscle due to the catabolic nature of aerobic activity. Especially with prolonged bouts o low intensity steady effort cardio.

We need a certain amount of calories just for our base physiological functions (skin/hair growth, digestion, fueling the brain, etc). We then need calories for exercise, and then almost more importantly, for the recovery process so we can adapt the system to get it stronger/more fit.

If you start to deprive your body of the fuel it needs for these three scenarios, then the fuel comes from the muscles as they break down to provide nutrients to the system. Once this begins to happen, the metabolism slows, strength levels decrease and body composition negatively shifts.

For you to have an accurate snap shot of what you need daily, you'd need to see a registered dietician or sports nutritionist. "What, When and Water," is a great book by Dr Clyde Wilson who is a nutritionist who works with Stanford University's endurance teams as well as Olympians and professional athletes.

A pound is a pound the world around, and that holds true with fat and muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, and that's why it has the misconception of weighing more. So if you put weight on, and its lean weight, RIGHT ON!

Remember, we want fat loss, not weight loss. Weight loss can mean muscle los as well.

One of the other things rarely mentioned to cyclists is that as your volume in the saddle increases, so too does your blood volume which increases tissue volume causing you to weigh a little more. This can very easily give the perception that the scale isn't moving!

One of the more accurate ways to measure body composition is to schedule an appt for a dunk tank. They usually aren't that much.

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's some good advice! And I do notice my body getting leaner....it will take awhile, as I will have patience. It takes a bit of time to remake a body after four kids....but I'm getting there...just thought, silly me.....that the scale would move first. Muscles and stamina are definately picking up with the hills and I plan to incorporate the interval sprints and some deadlifts too. Thanks for the boost!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
ldyvalerie said:
That's some good advice! And I do notice my body getting leaner....it will take awhile, as I will have patience. It takes a bit of time to remake a body after four kids....but I'm getting there...just thought, silly me.....that the scale would move first. Muscles and stamina are definately picking up with the hills and I plan to incorporate the interval sprints and some deadlifts too. Thanks for the boost!
You got it!!! I've got some putting yourself back together after pregnancy posts by one of the female strength coaches at the studio. I can post it of you'd like.

Awesome information. If you don't have any medically related movement concerns, "The New Rules of Lifting For Women" is an incredible book.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes! Please post....its always good to get anothers ideas on this sort of thing...its about building a better body for the future!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
348 Posts
Hack, you said that intervals would help with both hills and weight loss. Since I've never ridden in a pack with experienced riders could you elaborate on a good way to do that?

I'm a MUP rider but there is a long flat road near my house (with a bike lane!) that I'd feel comfortable trying. Also, since on the MUPs speed is somewhat limited could I achieve the higher intensity with a higher (harder) gear rather than try to do it with speed?

Ivy, I'm with you. I made three and my baby is seven so I'm out of excuses. I'm embarrassed to say I need to lose around 50 and want to get off the BP meds too. Maybe we can encourage each other. Like you, the scale is not feeling the love yet, but the mirror and my waistbands are showing some improvement. I'd like to think I'll stick to this because I love it and six months will make a huge difference even if I don't see it in the first few weeks. Keep at it, girl!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
DChapman said:
Hack, you said that intervals would help with both hills and weight loss. Since I've never ridden in a pack with experienced riders could you elaborate on a good way to do that?

I'm a MUP rider but there is a long flat road near my house (with a bike lane!) that I'd feel comfortable trying. Also, since on the MUPs speed is somewhat limited could I achieve the higher intensity with a higher (harder) gear rather than try to do it with speed?

Ivy, I'm with you. I made three and my baby is seven so I'm out of excuses. I'm embarrassed to say I need to lose around 50 and want to get off the BP meds too. Maybe we can encourage each other. Like you, the scale is not feeling the love yet, but the mirror and my waistbands are showing some improvement. I'd like to think I'll stick to this because I love it and six months will make a huge difference even if I don't see it in the first few weeks. Keep at it, girl!
Did I get you a good enough interval answer in the other thread? If not, fire away!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to do the interval training tomorrow.would it be a good idea to do that, say a few days a week? What is a MUP? I know I'm a newbie, but got to learn the language.

Yes, DChapman..we can encourage each other, definately! I've got about 50 to lose as well to be were id like to be.....keep on riding!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
ldyvalerie said:
I'm going to do the interval training tomorrow.would it be a good idea to do that, say a few days a week? What is a MUP? I know I'm a newbie, but got to learn the language.

Yes, DChapman..we can encourage each other, definately! I've got about 50 to lose as well to be were id like to be.....keep on riding!
MUP is middle of the pack I think. First time I'd heard of that too!! 2x/week for the interval training.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts