Biking While Drinking

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TxCyclist, Jun 20, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I saw it joked about in another thread. It's actually a growing problem here. People will opt to ride instead of drive but increasing amounts are getting arrested for biking while under the influence locally. Personally know a few who have been arrested. Is it a problem where you live?

2. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

We do beershuttles every weekend.
    Not a problem, as long as the driver is sober. :)

Getting arrested for riding your bike drunk instead of driving? lol usa

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you're talking about the Booze Cruze, it's not a joke. We really do that ride. For clarification's sake, we are not riding around the streets shitfaced drunk. If anyone does happen to reach that point, bikes are easily walked home.

Nope, not a problem here. I don't know anyone who has been injured or arrested for riding a bike while intoxicated.

4. skunky

skunky Guest

I always ride skunk, people call me the skunken master

5. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I think I may have been the one that spawned this... I did make a joke or two about this. I'm the only one around I know that's done this, but I'm sure it's done a lot. I also know when to call it quits. If I thought I was endangering myself more by riding drunk at 3am than I am by riding sober with the normal mid-day traffic, I could easily walk down the sidewalk. Infact, a lot of the riding I do around town is in parking lots, on sidewalks, and the occasional low-traffic road. I'm an extremely safe person in general and wouldn't do anything beyond what I feel in control and comfortable with.

I'm not trying to get any arguments going and I don't approve of riding a bike beyond the limit you can handle. I DO, however, have a problem with driving a car while or after drinking.

6. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

i'm a much better rider after a few beers!!!..lol..ride on

7. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

if they live in town, kids always bike to parties. then bike home. some say it takes them like 2 hrs, some say it feels like 5 secs. just so you know, my town is probly only has an area of 5 square km. don't ask me how it takes them 2 hrs to bike home.

8. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

Actually if you are riding a bicycle, a legal vehicle of the public roadways, on a public roadway you are subject to the same laws as motorists. Including the DUI/OWI laws, except in south Dakota. For some reason you can operate a bicycle or even ride a horse while intoxicated. I do not know if you can get popped for public intox. though.

9. jaobrien6

jaobrien6 Guest

Here in Seattle it's legal too, although you could get public intox if you're drunk enough and bring attention to yourself.

10. paranoid70

paranoid70 New Member

I think I would apply the same 3 beer MAX for biking as well as driving. You can still get seriously injured if you make a mistake riding your bike, especially in Los Angeles area. I think riding wasted would be nearly just as dangerous as driving a car.

11. Bigwheel Bart

Bigwheel Bart Guest

Fixed while drinkin is good fun in ATX.

12. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Do not drink beer while riding your bicycle!!! Speaking from experience, you will spill it all over the place and that is a waste of alcohol. But seriously a couple pints then cruising home from the pub is usually not a problem, and safer than driving a vehicle. J

13. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Safer than a car on the way home, pending where you live.

I think here in NY it's the same, can count as DUI and whatnot. It's legally a vehicle on the road, IF you're on the road.

Not neecessarily a good idea, but not necessarily bad either. More on the fence IMO.