Biking with a trailer

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by flatlandRider, Jul 17, 2009.

1. flatlandRider

flatlandRider New Member

For years I have been using a BOB trailer for my off road adventures, and just recently picked up a new BOB Ibex. But the issue now is my 04 Gary Fisher Cake is wearing out so I am starting to look for a replacement. I need a FS bike that can handle the pounding of off road touring with about 45lbs in a trailer attached to the rear frame.

Most of the new bikes from Trek and GF are targetting racing and speed. I need a light weight but durable bike.

Any suggestions?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Without knowing what you want to spend, I'd suggest checking out the Giant Trance X line. They make 5 different component levels starting at around $1500.00 retail for 09 models. If you are lucky enough to find an 08 they can be had for considerably less and is basically the same bike. The main difference between the 08 and 09 is the Fox fork w/15mm through axle. My gf got a new 08 Trance X1 which is one down from the top for $1400.00. Her bike is a small and is right around 30 lbs with 5" of travel on both ends.

Here's the 2008:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009

3. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

How quick and easy are those child trailers to get on and off your bike?

4. flatlandRider

flatlandRider New Member

thanks for the suggestion on the ride, will definitely look into the bike. I need the ride to have a dual pivot suspension design, as my current ride Gary Fisher Cake, has a single pivot and over time the pivot bearing wears out due to lateral wear.

TxJeeper; the trailer is not child trailer, its only designed to haul gear. Check out BOBgear | BOB Bike Cargo Trailers – do more with your bicycle! if you need to bring gear I highly recommend the BOB. I've used it on my rides in Montana on the Great Divide Mtb trail as well as my Bike Patrol rides. It connects to the rear axle using special skewers and tracks the rear wheel. I can disconnect it within a minute if need be.

hope this helps.

5. hophead

If you want better suspension bearing longevity, check out Rocky Mountain or Santa Cruz. They both use angular contact bearings rather than ball bearings to deal with lateral loads.

6. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

i've pulled a Yak BIg Tow for years,and it's been both on and off road for ultra long distances.other than around town biking, this is what i do all the time.i usually pull around 35 to 45#'s and have had no problems to speak of.my three main bikes i use to pull this are a Fuji Thrill MB,a Trek 3700 that i have converted a bit to a "hybred" type,(disc brakes,26x1.4 michelin city-urban tires,fenders,gel seat) and a Fuji Ace road-touring bike.all have worked beautifully for me for thousands of miles both on and off road.you cant go wrong with those giant bikes for durability.ride on

7. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Any FS bike is gonna wear out bearings over time. Most all the manufacturers sell FS rebuild kits that include all new bearings/bushings/etc depending on the bike. I had a cake and loved it but wore out multiple sets of bearings. I have also had the SC bikes (superlight, blur and heckler) and have needed to buy new bearings too. You wont wear them out as fast on other bikes but consider bearing replacement as a maintenance thing. I do like the SC bikes but gotta be willing to spend some dough. Good luck on your search.

8. hophead

Santa Cruz just recently changed to angular contact bearings. They won't last forever, but will last longer than ball bearings.

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Flatlander, how exactly does the BOB connect. I went to the website but it had nothing solid showing how it connects.

10. hophead

It attaches to the rear axle via quick release or, if you happen to have a solid rear axle they have Bob Nutz.

11. flatlandRider

flatlandRider New Member

correct, I replace my standard skewer with the BOB provided skewer (axle) and the trailer connect to a pair of rollers which allow the trailer to pivot up/down as the bike rolls over uneven terrain. the trailer also pivots left/right, doing both allows the trailer to mirror the rear wheel so it tracks the bikes action. I'll post some pics later this afternoon.

12. trx1

trx1 New Member

bike trailer vids on youtube
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXEF-70VKM]YouTube - How to Build a Bicycle Trailer[/ame]
    theres quite a few ideas on there also
    heres another
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v48iAlhz6Dk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  13. CyclingNomad

CyclingNomad New Member

What do you guys think about the Surly long haul trucker to pull the BOB?

14. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

The LHT has a stellar reputation as a tourer. Don't know about the BOB as I don't have any experience with them.

15. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Detail is not so hot on these, but the three pieces are a BOB supplied QR with extensions, tabs or dropouts on the trailer fork, and a pin that locks the tabs onto the extensions. The pin has a rubber strip that locks it to the BOB so it doesn't get lost.

This link shows the BOB QR with the extensions BOB QR

This link shows the trailer fork. BOB Trailer Forks Those little tabs on the fork fit over extensions on the BOB QR.

The photo on the right here: BOB Pins shows the how a pin locks the tabs in place over the QR extensions.

16. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

Given that the B.O.B. is designed like the Yakima Big Tow which I use. The Yakima comes with a warning not to use it to carry kids or pets. It's just for cargo.