bits

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by IanHighfield, Dec 12, 2009.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Anyone have ideas why there are so few makers of quality (or junk) cycle components? Campy, Shimano are the big ones. Some older obscure names too. But no new grand makers of bits for the bike. Wonder why? Every Tom with a torch makes frames. Tyre makers galore. Few trinket makers.

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I always wondered if there was a Communist component maker supplying the DDR and USSR but I guess there wasn't... otherwise they'd turn up on ebay.

Tiso makes a super highend rear derailleur,

From France you have Mavic which has made some nice Gruppos in the past, they started marketing pedals and shoes again recently. Their Mektronic Gruppo predated the new electronic Dura Ace by more than a decade. Their SSC brakes are still highly regarded. Besides them Simplex and Spidel.

Microshift from Taiwan has some interesting gruppos out now.. google Arsis and take a look.

Sram is already well established but their forray into road gear came as a surprise just a few years ago.

Suntour used to make a whole range of gruppos, some real quality stuff, their Superbe gruppo was on a par or better than DA or Record.

FRM from Italy makes great stuff. There used to be more Italian makers, Gipiemme Modolo and Ofmega made complete gruppos.

Check out Tune and Syntace from Germany. Even Spain had Zeus which pretty much copied anything Campagnolo did.

If you just look at just brakes there are a zillion, new ones everyday it seems.

This is just a little sampling... I think there are loads of mfgs!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009

3. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I work in a bike shop and must confess to having only heard of a few of those other makers. We see 98% Campy, Shimano. There are a good number of other makers I see.

Thanks, chh55