Blast from the past...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gandalfe, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

Saw this beautiful '57 Schwinn Wasp and picked it up for parade rides and such. (See more pics at my bike profile.) Used to ride my '79 10-speed Trek everywhere; now not so much. But I still have that too.

Attached Files:

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Nice find, and welcome!

3. Gandalfe

Yeah, I really wanted to categorize it as vintage when I listed it here, but that wasn't an option.

4. Gandalfe

And now I learn the term 'vintage' upsets some of the folks who prefer 'Classic'.

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Nice bike :thumbsup:, and Hi from the Swamps of South Jersey

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

7. froze

froze Banned

What a great find, and it looks like to be in very good condition, have fun in those parades.

79 Trek? which model? I had a 76 Trek TX900 that I had equipped by the LBS with Campy Super Record, but sold the bike to get a better car because it was difficult to get dates on a bike. The TX900 was a bit flexy under hard acceleration-especially climbing southern California mountains the chain would rub both sides of the front derailleur. But so did some other bikes I test rode, so for the price it was a great deal.

8. Gandalfe

If you click on the 'Cycles' next to my name you'll see more about the bikes. My was a 710 which was an upscale bike for the times. I never had the chain rub problem but I never went more than 40 at a time max. Most of my travel was in town, think bike delivery kinda stuff. :cool:

9. froze

froze Banned

I also had a Trek 412 which I actually raced and would win races with it, this frame was stiff with no flexing resulting in derailleur rub I mentioned. I crashed that bike in 84 and purchase a 84 Trek 660 frame and had 100% Suntour Superbe group put on, I still ride that today. That frame has the 531cs tubeset and it to is stiffer then the TX900.

10. Gandalfe

Crashed... sounds like there is a story in there somewhere? New thread alert: Crashed that I survived? ;)

11. froze

froze Banned

Actually not much of a story. I was riding to a job interview for another position at the same place I worked at but had to interview with a different boss. Going up Brand Blvd in Glendale where there use to be (still?) slant parking a car passed me, I passed it, she passed me, I passed her, she passed me then saw a open parking slot an turned sharp to park and I bounced off the side of her car, putting hy helmeted head through her side window and throwing me to the pavement dislocating my shoulder, and of course bending the front wheel into a pretzel, bending the fork and head tube. I show up for the job interview 3 hours late (called in of course) due to be taken to the hospital, in torn dress clothes and the arm in a sling and got the job. The manager said anyone who would still go to an interview after that and looking the way I did was his kind of employee!!! And actually that was the interview! Those words were the first words he said, then said I was hired and shook my hand and said see; "you Monday at 8".