BLORA-Belton Lake

Discussion in 'Texas Bike Forum' started by JamieDamnGarrett, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Rough trails, I'm finding out. Friday afternoon blew out my front tire. Got that fixed (and replaced the odometer that fell off as I was pushing the bike 2 miles back to the car, never to be seen again), and Sunday afternoon blew out the back tire AND broke the chain in half. I'm now told by my local bike shop that my bike just sucks and I'll destroy it at BLORA. So looks like I'll be trying Stillhouse Hollow this afternoon. Don't want to drive to Cameron Park East in Waco. I'm afraid I'll fall on a broken crack pipe or a sleeping crack head.

Has anyone ever bought and used the solid rubber tubes?
    I've heard that they're cumbersome, but I only do off-road trails and I'd rather deal with that that new slime tubes every week.

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Have you done any trails around Stillhouse yet?

3. I didn't even know about them until yesterday. Thank you google. I went there last night instead of BLORA and had a blast. No shredded tires and no broken chain. Plus, no $3 just to use the grounds. Bonus! I'll be headed back there from now on. I like that I can get up a little faster b/c of longer straightaways, too. I'm a map guy, though, and apparently there's no real map available. Looks like it's google-earth time.

4. TxCyclist

Did you do the trails below the Dam?

5. Below the Belton dam, or below Stillhouse? Either way, no, I didn't know about them. It's hard to explore new places b/c of time restraints and b/c I've been riding alone (dropping 100 pounds means it takes a while to find people that fit the new lifestyle). I'm clumsy enough to not want to be out in an unknown area without someone to spot my body should I go flying.

6. TxCyclist

I live way down South but when I used to live in Georgetown I would hit the Stillhouse trails below the Dam. Very nice trail.

7. I went in on the 2410-Harker Heights side of the lake. Google Earth shows the dam on the other side of the lake. What's the best way to get there? I'm in Temple. How many miles/trails are below the dam?