Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received this in an email this morning so I am gonna just do the 'ol copy and paste to save time.

Will the new Blue Ridge Parkway plan limit cycling on the scenic road?

Growing up in Virginia, we have always had a special affection for the Blue
Ridge Mountains and since taking up cycling, the Blue Ridge Parkway has become one of our favorite places to ride. The parkway stretches 469 miles
long the Blue Ridge in Virginia and North Carolina and was built to connect
Shenandoah National Park to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Today we received notice from our friends at Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine
that the Parkway may become closed to cyclists -- a newly released draft
management plan calls for the Parkway to be “actively managed as a
traditional, self-contained, scenic recreational driving experience.”

It may be a stretch to say this draft plan would ban the use of the parkway
for cyclists, but having a management plan focused exclusively on "driving"
limits future improvements for bicycle access.

Public input is being sought by December 16th and we hope you will read what
Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine has to say on this matter and join its call
to action. The National Park Service needs to hear from everyone on this,
not just us folk who grew up exploring the Blue Ridge with our families and
friends

To make it easier here is the external link and you can/should copy and post from the newsletter!

National Park Service - PEPC - Blue Ridge Parkway Draft General Management Plan / Environmental Impact Statement - September 2011 -Submit Comments

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump, I know you all are taking the time to do this right?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Any of you living east of the Mississippi should care about this. Riding the BRP should be on your bucket list, it is mine. I haven't ridden on a bicycle yet but have put countless miles on it on my motorcycle and I can tell you, it's 400 of the most beautiful miles you can imagine riding through.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any of you living east of the Mississippi should care about this. Riding the BRP should be on your bucket list, it is mine. I haven't ridden on a bicycle yet but have put countless miles on it on my motorcycle and I can tell you, it's 400 of the most beautiful miles you can imagine riding through.
You know, we should have a Twospoke ride the BRP :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sounds awesome If we could make it happen.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What might be our best option is to find an existing organized event that rides the Parkway and plan a trip around that. I'm assuming that there are events that use the Parkway for the route, but maybe not. SAG's could be a challenge due to the distance between access points to get on/off the road. I see a lot of info on Google related to cycling on the BRP, but much seems to related to touring.

My legs burn just reading about it this morning. I saw this several times, "Make and honest evaluation of your abilities before beginning a bicycle trip on the Parkway. In some sections, you will climb as much as 1,100 feet in 3.4 miles."

I'll dig around and see if I can find an event on teh Parkway that's far enough out that we could all make travel plans.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Speaking of burning legs I have looked at this several times and wonder why I would still consider doing it :D I know Alex would burn it up!

Major Uphills and elevation climbed
Lol... if Alex were to participate in the ride, we'd have to tie sand bags to his bike to level the playing field. :D After reading about his Immortal ride, he's my cycling hero.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Lol... if Alex were to participate in the ride, we'd have to tie sand bags to his bike to level the playing field. :D After reading about his Immortal ride, he's my cycling hero.
Where is my Like button :) I was thinking a tow rope to tie onto us but that will work as well.;)

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna agree with you and Matt! I watched part of the Ironman yesterday, that would level the playing field. He would just have to swim 2.4miles, 112 mile ride on the bike and the 26.2mile run THEN he could tow us along :D Oh to be young again...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Poolie! Anyone ever tell you your a Nut job?? :rolleyes:
hehehe, I have not yet learned to lust for the pain of climbing Poolie :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
hehehe, I have not yet learned to lust for the pain of climbing Poolie :D
Many of the guys I aspire to ride with next year have ridden to the top of the Bald, at least once. I've walked to the top before and thought that was hard enough. If you want to find nut jobs, those are the guys. I'm just a nut job in training ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts