BMX to Motocross?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by mrcarino, Sep 22, 2009.

1. mrcarino

mrcarino Guest

Do alot of bmx racers end up going to motocross eventually? Just curius

2. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

No.

They are 2 completely un related sports. Sure they have 2 wheels, sure they have a similar track, but its a completely different type of riding and VERY expensive.

Now adays, the avg bmx racer either quits (like so many of my expert and a pro buddies did) or they progress to Mountain Bike racing like I did. Downhill Racing is the extreme side of it, but 4x is always HUGE with bmxers now. Its basically downhill bmx racing. Its more dangerous. its faster, jumps are bigger, and way more adrenaline. I'll take my dh and 4x racing any day over motor x. Those guys are just lamers who can't pedal a bike IMO.

Here is a few different types of racing bmxers progress to. Now, let me just say, this makes bmx racing seem like a kiddy sport, and that's coming from someone who grew up bmx racing. The speeds are INSANE, everything is absolutely GNAR, and you have to be one hell of a rider.

NORBA DH
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmXgNiHxlqE]YouTube - mt snow vt norba nationals 2006 downhill dh race dual slalom[/ame]

here is some dual slalom and 4x (downhill bmx but on mtb basically). dual slalom is 2 riders, 4x is 4 riders.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrAq40c1xo]YouTube - Mt. Snow Downhill and 4X - 2006[/ame]

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Probably not. But many motocross racers have a BMX background.

4. craisin

craisin New Member

i would agree with hack

5. bear-hunter-ninja

bear-hunter-ninja New Member

for a long time Jeremy McGrath had a side deal with GT, but that is far from the norm. Alot of bmx racers i know still ride when they're done racing. Mostly trails and park.

6. 03Rubiconmg

03Rubiconmg New Member

I started racing motocross when i was 10, hurt myself when i was 13 (MCL/ACL issues) parents took the dirt bike away, then i started BMX and raced again when i was 18, RAcing BMX made me way better at racing motocross.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I raced BMX in Australia against one of the trials champs. He killed on the BMX track as well.

8. 1stthings1st

1stthings1st New Member

I went from bmx to motocross then to mtb and back to mx. I would say that MX is the most fun but also the biggest commitment in time and money. At 45 years old I still race MX, MTB. But my new love is to play Mx vs. Atv Reflex live online while using my FitDesk. Safe, fun and in the best shape of my life. If you have not tried it you should. Amazing video game. Now they have live tournaments. My heart rate is 130 bpm for 2 hours.

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Trials as-in boulder/curb hopping no seat trials? A good friend of mine got a trial bike and I tried it, no good for me, sticking to the easy going road and trail.