Bontrager H2, 700x35c

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by funetical, Feb 1, 2011.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have Bontrager H2, 700x35c on my Trek 7.1.

I just found a flat, although I think I popped it.

This wouldn't be the first time.

at 220ish, am I to big for this tire? I'm being a little rough on it honestly, taking jumps and pedaling through rocky roads.

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

First when you have the tire off to fix it, check and make a spoke or something inside the wheel isn't your problem. Next when you are that tough on a tire, you better double check and maybe add another layer of rim tape. Be extra careful when you put the tire back on to insure you don't create pinch flats. I would doubt 220 would be the issue.

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I will go with rim tape allso, if you have bin putting a lot of air presure in and it has that rubber rim tape. Check and see where the tube has the hole and find the spot on the tire or tube. I allways mark my valve stem and tire so when the marks are togeather facing the same way it is not too hard to find the cause.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Thanks guys, this isn't the first tire I popped, probably not the last.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

The only way it will be your last is either to quit riding or get so lucky you could break Vegas. I think Vegas being broken isn't likely so the former is likely the only way and that wouldn't be an option for me.

6. wild

7. gpshay

gpshay New Member

Sir have you bought those airless tires yet .. because i had a set ...:mad:

8. wild

NO, I have not pulled the triger on them but by the icon you posted that may be a good thing. Your coments would be a help to all. Tell us what you liked or disliked.
    Thanks wild

9. gpshay

gpshay New Member

Test run pulling the BOB and Airless Tires: Airless Tires Costly Mistake
    Sunday June 14, 2009, 80 miles (129 km) - Total so far: 80 miles (129 km)
    Road to Wickenburg [40+miles] from my house pulling the BOB and riding the Airless tires. Immediately I felt the tires "washing out" from underneath me which was very un-nerving. I thought maybe they had a bit of a break-in period, wearing off the oils or what ever might be on the rubber when they came out of the mould. WRONG! They never got better, in fact when I attempted to ride at 14mph the slightest movement of the handlbars ie. reaching down for my water bottles required an immediate steering correction which resulted in the back tire "washing out", through out the ride the tires where a real hazard. I wasnt able to drink unless I came to a complete stop. So I pushed my limits {very foolish} on my part, became dehydrated had serious leg cramping which required me stopping because my legs would nearly go into a full blown cramp which happened several times during the ride. Had they done so, a crash was inevitable. The only pro was their was a lot of flat causing debri on the shoulder which with the airless tires is a no worry but the cons far out weighted the pros.
    P.S. I took great pains in ordering the right size measuring the rims [width/depth ect.] the only way I would even consider this again [and I won't] would be calling Nu-Teck and sending them the wheel and actually have them mount the tires on the rim .. also once they are on the only way to get them off is saw through the rubber and cut the metal cable/bands that are molded inside the rubber itself.. feel free to send me an e-mail and i'll send you my phone number and we can talk further if you'd like Glenn in Phx. [email protected]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. wild

I have read enough thanks